Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot-offs?

Flexmoney

We are running a shoot-off side match at the "Double Up in Ohio" matches (Ohio Section - USPSA, and IPSC Nationals).

I am thinking 5 pieces of steel, plus the stop plate (crossing poppers). There will be a mandatory reload sometime after engaging the first steel and before the stop plate.

Six rounds total keeps from burning up the ammo supplies (multiple heats to get to the final), plus...it would allow for the winner of Revo to go heads up against the other division winners for overall bragging rights (if we lose the reload).

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, the reload requirement takes the revolver shooters pretty much out of play. That's not to say that a skilled revolver guy isn't going to beat a lot of the auto shooters a lot of the time--he certainly will. But ultimately, even the best revolver reloads are always going to be substantially slower than a moderately decent reload with a bottomfeeder, and so the good auto shooters will always have a huge advantage.

I won the Limited shoot-off at the Big Dawg Steel match a couple years ago, shooting an 8-shot revo against very stiff competition using mostly hi-cap autoloading steel guns. But the format of that shoot-off was specifically designed to be fair to all platforms--5 plates on a rack plus the crossover stop plate, and no reload required.

That might work.

I was thinking...if we do a head-to-head for just the 3 champs...to take away a few plates. Make it 3 plates and the stop, no reload. That would allow the wheelers to hammer the stop plate down like the rest.

The only thing I can suggest is a handicap based on shooters skill level but not sure if or how you could do that based on the kind of gun used. Maybe a best run out of three on a speed steel type stage?

Joe W.

Edited by joecichlid