Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Chokes

sniperdog

I have been shooting more big matches and it seems I need to work on what choke tubes works best in differant situtions. I have never been a shotgun shooter until I statred shooting multi-gun. So let the teaching begin.

What choke works best in the differant shooting requiremnts in multi-gun ? I was using Imp. Cyl at CMMG match and those little pink plates really took a beating along with my score. And then when I got to those clays flying at Mach 1 it only got worse.

Also, what choke tubes will work in the FN SLP ? I have been looking at Briley but am not real sure which one to buy, any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have been shooting more big matches and it seems I need to work on what choke tubes works best in differant situtions. I have never been a shotgun shooter until I statred shooting multi-gun. So let the teaching begin.

What choke works best in the differant shooting requiremnts in multi-gun ? I was using Imp. Cyl at CMMG match and those little pink plates really took a beating along with my score. And then when I got to those clays flying at Mach 1 it only got worse.

Also, what choke tubes will work in the FN SLP ? I have been looking at Briley but am not real sure which one to buy, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Call Briley and they are willing to help

Sean Gaines

FN SLP use Standard Invector chokes. I've used a modified and an improved modified.

Check your pattern with the modified first and shoot some long range slugs for accuracy.

The "test" I use: if it knocks down plate rack plates at 25 yards with 7 1/2 shot it's good to go.

I use TruLock chokes in my FN SLP Mark1. George and the folks there are great. The IC patterns almost as good or better than the Mod. using 7.5 shot game loads. And patterns slugs very well. At FNH midwest 3 gun, other were knocking those little pinks off left and right. I think I hit one all weekend. And all the flyers were dust!

First go pattern your choke with the loads you'll be using. Learn your holdoff for the no shoots. And make a trip to the sporting clays range to practice up for the flyers.

Those courses are supposed to be set up for cylinder. But...............

Edited by CATman33

One more thing. If you really want to get the best experience using your practicle shotgun. Then you need to attend the High Plains Shotgun Challenge next year. I went this year for the first time and had a BLAST! (pun intended) Trapr puts on a great match.

The better after market chokes are sold by numbers as well as by typical name. I would recommend you might at least want a cylinder or 0 for stages with clay birds only or the skeet aka 5 works well too. For everything else I use a light modified which is a 15. A modified is a 20, improved modified a 25, etc. The point is that the higher end after market chokes are sold in more models than what you are used to seeing in the three tubes shipped with most new shotguns.

RonB makes a valid point about using the choke that will take down steel at 25 yards with 7.5 shot. I would suggest that use of size 6 shot on distant steel willl still take down the steel at 25 yards and allow use of a more open choke which will assist you on the closer stuff and clay birds which might appear on the same stage.

I use angle port chokes but I do because I use them in sporting clays. Briley, Trulock and other extended chokes are also a large improvement over the standard flush mounted chokes that ship with the shotgun. The extended versions pattern much better and are easy to change between stages. Because of the way they are marked, it is also a snap to tell what you have on your gun and you can change them without covering your hand with the muzzle saving a trip to the safe area.

One word of caution. Many after market choke makers sell ported chokes. IMO these ports do very little to soften the feel of the gun and they will place you in open division perhaps unintentionally.

I use the IC choke that came with the gun, with 1 1/8 3 dr. loads of #9 (or #8) shot and have not had trouble, even at MGM Ironman, taking down steel (unless I MISS the steel, but that's another story). Once in a while I throw in a heavy 1 1/4 field load for insurance on a longer target, but rarely really need it. IMHO, within 25 - 30 yards, it's the amount of lead on target that takes down steel, not the size of the shot. And the dense patterns of smaller shot does a great job of smoking clays.

I started going to the smaller shot after a match that was heavy on charcoal briquettes. I could swear I had some of those centered in the pattern of 7.5s, but still didn't touch the target. But since switching to 9s, well, I haven't shot another match using briquettes, but Ilm ready if I do!

End of thread drift.

I shoot IC for everything. I also shoot skeet with it. I do carry #6 heavy dove for hard to take down steel. I did try full choke, nice tight pattern. I was told not to shoot slugs thru it. I do get 3" patterns with 00 buck at 25 yds with IC choke.

Mike