Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloads

Jon Merricks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, electronic muffs...they rule. If you new guys (and gals) haven't used them yet, you oughta give them a try. No kidding, you can hear the brass hitting the ground. The muffs do have their drawbacks though. I remember screwing up an array and as I moved to the next position I heard a guy way back in the peanut gallery say to his buddy, "Man that has to hurt...".

(Edited by Ron Ankeny at 2:17 pm on Oct. 22, 2001)

Actually, I got a pair of e-muffs from the Steel Challenge. Thing is, I don't want to hear the sounds they pick up. They make a dry firing hammer sound like a squib. I'm afraid I'll hear the RO's footfall or something and it will distract me.

I'm with Erik, I bought a pair of Dillons after Cebu, there was a corner there with about 5 ranges on top of each other, so holding a conversation was all but impossible with ordinary muffs.

I used them until the shootoffs at the Aussie Nats last year, where I found the noise to be really confusing and distracting. They remain invaluable, but now I shoot in plugs and muffs turned off.

P.D.

• 2 months later...

I've found practicing with dummy rounds (reloads w/o primer or powder) to be better than empty mags. If I practice with empty mags, I have a tendency to not seat the mags hard enough the next time I live fire. Plus, it better replicates the feel you get with a loaded gun. I usually use a mag loaded with dummy rounds when I practice draws & transitions too.

Yes, if practicing with dummy rounds makes you nervous, by all means put 2-3 snapcaps or plastic dummies on top. The main reason for the powderless and primerless handmade dummies is the weight. Snap caps & plastic dummies won't duplicate the weight.

Jon,  FWIW, I just made up fifty inert rounds for the local Highway Patrol  training officer.   He had me leave the old primer in the resized cases and drill two 1/8 inch holes in the side of each case.   I seated 180 grain lead bullets in the cases for him.  The holes make them very easily distinguishable as inert rounds.   Personally, I do like the weight and spring resistance when practicing mag changes.  I keep mine in a special box labeled, of all things, "inert practice rounds".    Have fun!  -Sam

Yeah, I've heard of the blue plastic practice mags. I've got a couple. I'm not sure if mine are CTRC's or not.  I don't like them. They don't duplicate the length and feel of my 140mm and 170mm mags.  They wear real bad around the mag catch too.