Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Baerburtchell's Range Diary/Training Program

Paul Burtchell

I'm finally starting to feel better after being sick for over a week. Yesterday was the last day on the antibiotics.

I slept 12 hours last night, woke up feeling good.

Spent 20 minutes at 3.5 mph at a 1% incline on the treadmill. Wussie workout but, just wanted to do something to start "moving" again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot an IDPA match last weekend.

Big weekend ahead. Shooting a local Action Pistol Match Saturday & then traveling 5 hours South with my "shootin' bud's" to shoot the Coastal Bend IDPA match on Sunday.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

1 hour walk am walk

Reloaded 400 rounds

200 rounds live fire practice. Variety of Drills. Head Shots at 35 yards are a piece of cake with the new Spartan 9.

Knocking off the rust and getting ready for a two match weekend.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

I've been walking at least one hour each morning prior to breakfast. Eating paleo style. No chance to practice since Sunday. Finally been busy selling houses like crazy with the tax credit ending today. Looking forward to an IDPA match and SO class tomorrow and a Classifier Sunday.

First matches with the new Spartan 9 ;)

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Great weekend of shooting. I am extremely pleased with the new STI Spartan 9. Just over 600 rounds now & zero malfunctions of any kind. :rolleyes:

Saturday's IDPA match I shot well for the first 4 stages. Mentally I lost focus on the last 2 stages and forgot what the front sight was. It cost me several places.

Today: Sunday 05/02: IDPA classifier. I moved up from MM to SS in ESP. I took it real easy and relaxed today. I was 2 points down on Stage One, 3 Points down on stage Two and 13 points down on Stage Three. I think I could have easily knocked off 10-15 seconds and not dropped any more points, but I am basically rebuilding my "shooting base" and I am working on shooting as close to zero points down as possible and letting the speed follow. Switching platforms and "trying" to shoot fast has messed with my accuracy AND my confidence. Back to the basics.

6 weeks until the Texas State IDPA Championships.

2.5 mile PM walk.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

AM: 2.5 mile walk

PM:160 rounds Live Fire. Couple of drills and 15 & 25 yard practice.

Pistol choked twice. Failure to extract. S&B brass on both. I went through and chunked the the Sh_t Brass and back to zero malfunctions. Lesson learned. No more S&B brass.

AM: 2.5 mile walk

PM:160 rounds Live Fire. Couple of drills and 15 & 25 yard practice.

Pistol choked twice. Failure to extract. S&B brass on both. I went through and chunked the the Sh_t Brass and back to zero malfunctions. Lesson learned. No more S&B brass.

I've found S&B "brass" is not really brass. It's a steel casing that just has a brass color. I wish they wouldn't try to make it look like brass it would save me the trouble of picking it up!

Action Pistol Match today. USPSA style stages with IDPA scoring. I finished second in my classification and 8th out of 32 shooters. Not bad considering I really pushed the speed on a couple of stages and threw 2 Mikes on one stage. I was experimenting with just going flat out on a couple of stages.

Pistol ran flawlessly again. For anyone out there considering a 9mm single stack I would HIGHLY recommend the STI Spartan. My pistol is extremely reliable and accurate.

Thanks to Steve J for 6 challenging stages and another great match :cheers:

Edited by Paul Burtchell

I've walked 3 miles every morning before breakfast this week.

I went to Dawson Precision & Dave "tuned" 4 more DP Supreme Tactical 10 round 9mm mags for me and installed one of his 0.40 F/O front sights in lieu of the big honkin' factory f/o, while I waited. MUCH better sight picture. Thanks Dave :bow:

Yesterday loaded 1000 rounds. I've got all the practice ammo and my match ammo loaded to last me until the Texas State IDPA match. :D

4 weeks to go !!!

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Zeroed pistol with new front sight. Shot 170 rounds of groups from 7 yards to 20 yards.

I also tried a new load of 3.6 grains of Solo 1000 under a 147 PD. SOFT & ACCURATE! May switch to that load after the Texas State Match as I am really use to the 124 grains.

Monday: May 17:

AM- 1 hour walk

PM- 30 Minute Dryfire- Draws & Mozambiques

Edited by Paul Burtchell

A fun 6 stage Steel Challenge match today. Pendulum gave me "fits" but other than that I had a pretty solid match. Fewer makeup shots than my last steel challenge match.

I shot with my monovision contacts today just to see how that went. I'm going to stick with just shooting with my prescription glasses. Hard to describe but, with he monovision contact lenses and taping my left lens, on my shooting glasses, I get a "disconnected" feeling. If that makes any sense??

3 weeks from today is the Texas State IDPA Championship. I've got a Classifier to shoot next Saturday. I'm actually wanting to make Expert and get bumped up for the state match and then an IDPA match on the first Saturday of June. So, I have 3 live fire practice sessions and 2 matches prior to the state match & LOTS of dryfire focusing primarily on IDPA mag changes. NO missed practices for the next 3 weeks !!!!

I hit the 1500 round mark with the new Spartan 9 today. I've put 1500 rounds through it in one month and other than the incident with the S&B brass failing to extract the pistol has ran 100%. I am really pleased with this pistol.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

30 minutes dryfire practice focusing on IDPA reloads, specifically tactical reloads with retention while reacquiring target around a barricade.

Later on got in some range time with mjoy64. Strong hand, weak hand, mozambique's, couple of El Pres's.Lots of 50 yard group shooting, even some 50 yard strong hand only.

Yesterday: 3 mile AM pre breakfast walk.

PM: 15 minutes of dryfire and then watched the last episode of 24. Long live Jack Bauer. wink.gif

This Morning: Sled Dragging:

Lower Body:

2 "200 yard" trips forward and 2 backward with 45# on the sled.

Upper Body:

2 " 200 yard" trips with 45#. Various bicep, tricep and shoulder pulls and static pulling. Forward and Backward.

Tonight hit the range for some 20 yard barricade work.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Diet and exercise program is going well. Walked 1 hour prior to breakfast every morning this week, other than the day I sled dragged. I have practically eliminated any processed carbs of any kind from my diet. Weight loss is steady. Back down to 218.

Shot a 3 stage Steel Challenge Match tonight at our local club. I do not have the times back yet, but I felt that I shot much better than I did Saturday. Only difference in what I did was that I did not shoot with contact lens and I did not use transparent tape on my left lens on my glasses. I was much more accurate without it. Very few make up shots in tonight's match.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Shot the IDPA Classifier today. Did not reach my goal of making Expert in ESP prior to the Texas State match. Dropped too many points on Stage 3. Strange, I've been practicing and doing well on barricade work from 20 yards.

Oh well, maybe I can smoke the state match as a Sharp Shooter and get bumped to Expert.

Pistol is right at 1900 rounds and just keeps on a running.