Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Baerburtchell's Range Diary/Training Program

Paul Burtchell

Match in Waco today. Finished DFL in Single Stack out of 4 shooters. I can't complain though, as I actually did near my best, the other guys were just better. I had two D's and 1 Mike. The Mike was on a swinger that I got out of sync on my plan and really hurried the second shot, which was the Mike.

Somehow, someway I've got to get faster on my movement. I'm losing huge chunks of time just being physically slow moving from one position to another. Maybe more weight loss will help. My old arthritic, surgically repaired heel bones and fused ankle may be a very tough obstacle to overcome, but I'm not going to give up. There are too many other shooters out there competing with handicaps etc. that have figured it out & so will I. ;)

Edited by baerburtchell

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I reviewed the scores from yesterdays match, now that they are posted on the website, and I did a little better than I thought. I was 3rd out of 5 Single Stack competitors. I was 51% of the overall match winner, who is a GM shooting Open. Gotta keep working...

Spent about 5 hours at the range today with my friends & fellow benos members 1973 & mjoy64. Practiced a little bit of everything. Strong hand, weak hand only, mozambiques, 20 yard barricade and a couple of impromptu field courses.

Great practice session with absolutely glorious weather. :cheers:

I wish I had the time and the funds to do that more often.

Edited by baerburtchell

Great practice session with absolutely glorious weather. :cheers:

I wish I had the time and the funds to do that more often.

+1 ! This is when the game is most fun, to me.

Also, 51% of Open GM is not bad at all when shooting Single Stack.. all the work pays off. Good job.

30 minutes of dryfire practice. Focused on weak hand and strong hand. Weak hand shooting is something I really need to bring up.

Every once in a while you read a post on this forum that just slaps you in the face. I was reading someone's range diary and came across a post by Ben Stoeger. Basically is was a posts that concerned not comparing yourself to other shooters in a match, especially those in other divisions (as they are really shooting a different match, I believe is how Ben put it) and that the only thing that really matters is your own performance as someone else that you may have beat on a stage may have just had a "bad" stage.

All I had to do was look up a couple of earlier of my posts in my range diary and think about what has been my concerns recently and realized Jake was also describing what I've been doing lately. :surprise: One of those Aha! moments.

Thanks Ben :cheers: Nothing like the cold hard truth to get oneself back on track.

Edited by baerburtchell

A simply dreadful classifier. :angry:

I was SO concerned with not dropping points that I shot way too slow. I did not drop many points at all on stages one and two, but I think I could have received the same points down total and shot it in MUCH less time. I had some 4 and 5 shot groups on a couple of targets in one big hole. No need for that level of accuracy.

Stage 3: I shot very slowly and had nice groups, BUT they were just below the zero for alot of points down & slow. :wacko:

Only made Marksman... Heck, I was almost to expert in SSP over a year ago. I am regressing and getting very aggravated and frustrated.

I guess the only thing worse than missing fast is missing slow. :roflol:

Put this day behind me and regroup.

Edited by baerburtchell

Don't fret, Paul. Today was hardly ideal conditions for a best effort. Sure the weather was nice, but the bright sun right at the top of the back berm for most of stages 1 and 2 and not all that much higher in the sky for stage 3 was painful, even with a good ball cap on... and screwed down tight.

Davita's WOD- Bill Reload Drills 50 reps.

Par Time 5.25 seconds

Bill reload drill.

Start position is standing in box facing down range, wrists above shoulders, gun loaded in holster. On start signal, draw and engage T1 with 6 rounds, perform a mandatory reload and re-engage T1 with 6 rounds.

Par Times:

G: 3.20

M: 3.70

A: 4.25

B: 4.75

C: 5.25

D: 5.75

Edited by baerburtchell

Davita's 11/01 WOD Dryfire Drill

Start position is seated in chair gun and magazines on table, hands on knees. On start, draw and engage T1-3 with 2 rounds each, perform a mandatory reload and re-engage T1-3 with 2 rounds each. All shots must be made while sitting.

30 reps

Par Times:

G: 4.70

M: 5.20

A: 5.60

B: 6.00

C: 6.40

D: 6.80

I was successful in meeting or beating the (C Class ) 6.40 second par time 18/30 reps. I'm finding these par times a little tough, but these drills are fun and definitely not boring. The 20 minutes or so I spent doing this drill literally flew by.

Edited by baerburtchell

Well, I took the weekend off from all shooting and spent it with family.

The two oldest grandkids (8 and 6 years old) were in the local High School's production of Beauty and the Beast. One was a teacup and the other a saucer. :roflol:

Today my 90 year old father-in-law, along with others were honored at a local church in Killeen, Tx. for Veterans Day. He was a Philippine guerilla fighter, joined the US Army in WWII, was a Baton "Death March" POW,Purple Heart recipient, Korean War and Viet Nam war veteran. Over 30 years of service. :bow:

Combine this and the atrocity this week at Ft. Hood here, and there was not a dry eye in the church today, I believe.

Edited by baerburtchell

I just saw the 2009 IDPA Postal Match results. I guess I didn't do too bad for only having my new pistol one week prior to the match and this was my first match to shoot with it. I finished 4th out of 311 shooters in ESP Marksman & 362 out of 2600 for all divisions. My time was 63.53 / 7 points down.

A big congrats to one of our local club members and fellow BE forum member SteveJ, winning High Senior! :cheers: Several other members of our local club did extremely well too, beating my efforts considerably. Way to go guys!!

Edited by baerburtchell

Chrono'd ammo and zeroed in pistol at lunch today.

PM:

Started Ben Stoeger's 15 minute dryfire program.

Novice Par times.

Good place to start. Had to really push to make par times, and all did not have all perfect sight pictures so I think I found the times to start with.

Chrono'd new load at range.

Ben Stoeger's 15 min. Dryfire Program. Still using Novice times, but starting to hit the par times much more now.

Loaded all my handwritten reloading logs & info. into an Excel spreadsheet. Hey, at least I made it to the 20thCentury. Still a ways to go to make it into the 21st. :roflol:

Edited by baerburtchell

Diet:

Observing a stricter Paleo style eating plan & LOTS of water. Started Phase I today of this eating plan.

http://www.cavemanpower.com/food/caveman_p..._stage_one.html

Supplementing with mega doses of fish oil capsules.

Excercise:

AM: Brisk 2 1/2 mile walk with the wife on a new walk/bike trail.

After Lunch: Mowed the Lawn

Training:

Stoeger 15 minute dryfire program.

USPSA match in Austin, Tx. Big turnout. 67 competitors.

What went wrong:

I threw 2 Mikes on a Weak Hand Only portion of a string.(Classifier, of course. :angry2: ) Well, I see now what I need to spend some additional time on.

I did not notice the round in my Barney mag did not chamber on LAMR on one stage. CLICK...... :wacko:

What went right.:

I shot anywhere from 86% to 98% of available points all stages, other than the classifier.

No Procedurals.

I had a clear plan for each stage and followed it.

Waiting for results on match to see how I placed.

Diet was spot on again, even while at the match. I was not hungry, had better stamina and no swings in energy levels.

Fun day with a great hard working squad.

Edited by baerburtchell