Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Baerburtchell's Range Diary/Training Program

Paul Burtchell

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor performances on the first two stages of today's match. Started out on the first stage with 3 no shoots :sick:

Second stage I could not buy a hit on steel.

By the third stage I realized I had not been taping my left lens. Put on my tape and things got dramatically better.

Shot my lowest time ever on the El Presidente Classifier. I do not have my score sheet, but I believe it was 7.40 and down about 10 points. I'll see the scores on our website in a day or two. We were not using carbon copy score sheets today and I forgot to write it down.

I think I'm over analyzing stage breakdown and not seeing the simplest way to shoot a stage. Maybe I can get some help from some of my friends on this.

Edited by baerburtchell

You did good, Paul. You beat all your travel buddies. Cleaning up the 50 penalty points on that one no-shoot stage would have only moved you up one place in the overall, but still, consistency and zero penalty points is a good goal at our level.

11th day of Phase I of the new Paleo Diet. All going well. No slip ups and carb cravings are all but gone.

I start Phase II on Saturday. It should be an interesting 2 week phase. All day fast with nothing but water and then one big meal at night with no portion limitations. Meal consisting of lean meats or fish or fowl, veggies, esp. root vegetables and salads with olive oil, nuts and a small portion of fruit occasionally.

I've also started tapering off of coffee. I'm using an herbal coffee substitute(Teecino) mixed in with my coffee and tapering off over a 2 week period.

Walking 2 1/2 miles per day.

Tomorrow my wife and I are starting back with the free weights, but MUCH lighter and easier than I did last time. At almost 50 years old I'm learning that when you start back you've got to work into working out much more gradually.

Loaded 500 rounds today on the 550. Getting ready for an Action Pistol match this Saturday.

Ben Stoeger 15 minute dryfire plan after dinner tonight.

Helped with stage setup for Saturday's match. It was cold, but the wind wasn't blowing so it actually felt pretty good. 6 fun stages.

Then I went to my hometown range and practiced group shooting from 10 to 25 yards.

Which set up were you at? I went home sore, took a hot shower and sat down.

Youngsters :rolleyes:

You guys rocked. Thanks for all the help.

Helped with stage setup for Saturday's match. It was cold, but the wind wasn't blowing so it actually felt pretty good. 6 fun stages.

Then I went to my hometown range and practiced group shooting from 10 to 25 yards.

Which set up were you at? I went home sore, took a hot shower and sat down.

Youngsters :rolleyes:

You guys rocked. Thanks for all the help.

:roflol:

Thanks. If I could get more time off from work I would help with setup more often. I enjoy it.

Stoeger 15 minute dryfire routine followed by approx. 10 minutes of transistion/reload work.

I set up 4 each reduced size cardboard & "steel" targets.. At the beep draw engage the 4 paper targets with 2 shots each, reload, & engage the 4 poppers with one shot each. I changed this up by alternating between hands relaxed at sides and surrender draws & alternating between engaging the paper & steel targets first.

I'm going to reduce my par times by one-tenth second on all the Stoeger dryfire drills after one more week. I'm consistently hitting and sometimes beating the partimes on all of the drills now. I'm looking for slow and consistent improvement. No big jumps. I do not want to get "sloppy" just to meet or beat a par time.

Local match in the morning.

Edited by baerburtchell

Stoeger 15 minute dryfire routine followed by approx. 10 minutes of transistion/reload work.

I set up 4 each reduced size cardboard & "steel" targets.. At the beep draw engage the 4 paper targets with 2 shots each, reload, & engage the 4 poppers with one shot each. I changed this up by alternating between hands relaxed at sides and surrender draws & alternating between engaging the paper & steel targets first.

I'm going to reduce my par times by one-tenth second on all the Stoeger dryfire drills after one more week. I'm consistently hitting and sometimes beating the partimes on all of the drills now. I'm looking for slow and consistent improvement. No big jumps. I do not want to get "sloppy" just to meet or beat a par time.

Local match in the morning.

We'll see you at CCPC in the morning Paul. Congrats on the continued disciplined practice - it will surely pay off.

Doug

I had a pretty good match today. I made a mental mistake on one stage. After shooting 4 paper targets and doing a reload I was to engage 6 steel targets from left to right. I engaged 5. I did not see the Colt popper on my far left. :wacko: I had to go back and make it up. Lost some valuable time and probably cost myself one or two places overall.

Shooting my first Steel Challenge match in the morning.

Last day of vacation :(

Edited by baerburtchell

My 1st Steel Challenge Match was a hoot ! I shot poorly but, it was STILL alot of fun.

Best run of the day for me was (don't laugh) a 3.85 on Roundabout.

Way too many misses. Just was not "sharp" today. Still a little tired, I think from yesterday's match.

Great fun shooting with all my friends :cheers:

My next match will be this Saturday 12/19. USPSA match in Waco, Tx.

Edited by baerburtchell

Still a little tired, I think from yesterday's match.

That's why we let you sit and keep score most of the day. :roflol:

It's great the way the local crowd has taken to Steel Challenge. The more you shoot the stages (if they're set up correctly) the better you'll get. Looks like we might have lots of opportunities there.

Paul - Steel challenge can be humbling. Yes I said humbling. The first couple of matches I shot with my Limited Gun were very humbling, nothing like getting you but kicked by an 80 yr old lady shooting a Bersa Thunder 380. I did it to work on accuracy. Shooting it with my open gun is much better and shooting it with my open gun and 120pf loads is even better.

The biggest challenge in steel challenge is learning to slow down a tick make hits and your times will go down.

I have shot a handfull of these matches now and I am up to 3 very good runs and two that suck, crap just one more good run needed.

Have a happy Holiday Season.

Paul, I think you did very well in your first steel match. Steel is very unforgiving, to say the least, and you have to learn how to shoot it properly. I know that some of your misses were within a 1/2 inch of being hits. Don't get frustrated and remember that you started shooting because it was fun. Always shoot to have fun and the results will follow. Enjoy tomorrow's match, and I already know you are going to have a great day and have a lot of FUN. :cheers:

Body weight down to 215# (Lowest I've been in several years).

Phase II of my style Paleo Diet (http://www.cavemanpower.com/food/caveman_power_diet_stage_two.html) is really starting to take off some fat. I'm drinking tons of purified water.

I'm also almost totally coffee/caffeine free now as well. One more week of tapering off.

Walking and excersise program on track.

Just loaded up my gear for tomorrow's match.

Edited by baerburtchell

• 2 weeks later...