Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Baerburtchell's Range Diary/Training Program

Paul Burtchell

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took the day off yesterday from any exercise and training. No dryfire, no nuthin.

Today: AM 1 hour walk

Deadlifts: 135# (10 x 3) in 9 minutes 14 seconds. :roflol: I gotta laugh. About 4 years ago I could one rep

max 495#. Oh well, gotta start back somewhere.

Going to mow the lawn now and get in some more cardio ;)

Remember Memorial Day !!

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Traded the Spartan 9. I absolutely love the 1911 platform but, I just shoot the Glock platform better. Looking back over match scores and my best finishes and classifiers have always been shot with a G34.

So, I got a like new Glock G34. I talked with Charlie Vanek today and he is mailing out one of his Custom Grand Master Trigger kits with the new Jager striker. I just ordered a Dawson Precision fixed rear and fiber optic front sight, a Jager polymer guide rod and a couple of 13# ISMI recoil springs. I should be good to go for this weekends matches.

I was not relishing shooting Single Stack Minor in USPSA matches with the Spartan, so that was another determing factor. Now I have a pistol that I can shoot USPSA Production & IDPA SSP & ESP with.

Paul - Missed you at ALSPPC Sunday. You missed seeing your old Open gun all remade and it Winning Open Division, I didn't do it I can't shoot.

Maybe next time we will hit the match on the same Sunday. Glock seems to work for some, never really tried one except at the nations for $5.00, seemed to shoot ok.

Tonight I find out what sort of gunsmithing skills I possess. I'm installing a set of Dawson Precision fixed rear and F/o front sights on the new G34. This will be my first attempt at sight installation.

Vanek trigger kit & Jager guide rod & ISMI springs arrive tomorrow. I should be 'good to go' for this weekend's matches.

Score: Sights 1 Paul 0

I tried installing the Dawson Precision fixed rear and f/o front sights last night. Front sight removal and replacement was a breeze. Rear sight removal was super easy. Rear sight installation... $%**&

Material needed to be removed from the sight to fit in the dovetail. All I had to work with was a small hand file. After several attempts I was not making any progress and I was afraid I was going to cut the sight "crooked".

I drove to Dawson Precision this morning and they had it installed "in no time at all'. Gotta love DP's service cheers.gif

My Vanek Custom Grand Master trigger kit with the lightened Jager firing pin arrived today. I've installed several of these, so hopefully my home gunsmithing will go better tonight.

I went to the range early this morning prior to heading in to work to check the zero on the fixed Dawson sights on my new Glock G34. I went with the DP fixed rear .125 rear notch and the .105 front width f/0 with the .040 fiber optics, .205 heigth.

Shot groups at 7,10, and 15 yards. Dead on elevation at all ranges and only about 1/2" left at 15 yards windage. Good enough for me. I ain't messing with it.

This is using my current load of 124 MG CMJ with 4.0 Titegroup.

I did try a few 147 PD loaded with 3.8 SOLO 1000 and they were spot on too.

Shooting 2 IDPA matches this weekend and one week until the Texas State IDPA.

**Note** Pistol recovers much more quickly with no dipping with the 13# ISMI spring. Good stuff.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Yesterdays IDPA was a different story. I showed up at 7:00 am., already tired from yesterday's match and helped with set up. Mid 90's temp. and high, high humidity. By the time the match started I was already " beat". Shot "OK" on 5 of the 6 stages but had a total meltdown on one stage.

The 1/2" or so that my sights were off became significant on a stage that had several 25 to 35 yard targets. Had a couple of Mikes a 3 FTN's. Killed my match in one stage.

As tired as I was, I went home and pulled out the sight punch and adjusted the rear sight. It is now spot on.

I need to work alot more on my conditioning. Even with the daily walks and beginning weight training it is going to take awhile to get back in really good physical condition.

I feel, for me, the Texas State Match this Saturday is going to be about physical survival and shooting mistake free. Temp's are going to be in the mid to high 90's and there is no shade at the range.

I'm going to drink a gallon of water per day all of this week and I'm taking Gatorade and a separate cooler with ice and a wet rag to the match just to "revive" myself every once in a while.

Take an umbrella and a chair. It makes sense to pre hydrate and keep in mind that when your out in the heat to keep hydrated. When I was coaching competitive soccer the girls liked the sprayer, I would put ice and water into a garden sprayer and just mist them down, we also used towels in ice water.

1 hour walk before breakfast.

Long day at work. One more day before vacation starts :D

PM: Live fire practice. Checked long range zero at 30 yards. Fixed sights are now right on. Last live fire practice prior to State Match. I'm ready.

BTW: Just started a savings fund for a complete custom Open pistol :ph34r:

Edited by Paul Burtchell

1st day of a one week vacation. :D

3.5 mile pre breakfast walk followed by mowing the lawn.

PM: Help set up and RO'd a local Steel Challenge match. Fun watching the kids get better and better every week.

Packing and getting ready to head out tomorrow for the Texas State IDPA Championship. I hope the rain stays away.

Well the Texas State IDPA match was a mixture of good and bad for me.

The Good: Accuracy:For 12 stages I was only down 18 points.

The Bad: I was slow on raw time on several stages and I had 4 mental errors that cost me alot of time.

All of the mental errors occurred after I took a lunch break. If that has anything to do with it??

1. I was taping on one stage, before my run, I overhead an SO say that no one the entire match had shot this particular Non-Threat target located behind a barricade. Guess what?? I placed 2 perfect 0 zone shots on it. :angry2:

2. The final target of one stage was suppose to be a Mozambique and I forgot and place 3 zero zone hits on the target :wacko:

3. On another stage we were suppose to engage 2 targets with 3 shots each from the left side of a barricade weak hand only and I forgot and shot the first 2 shots on the first target freestyle before I realized what I had done :goof:

4. On one stage we were to start with the gun in the box with our spare mag on the table. I opened the box shot an array of targets. Went for the reload only to find out the spare mag was covered by the lid of the box. :angry2:

There were more, but these are the ones that stand out the most.

I guess I was SLOW , ACCURATE & STUPID :roflol:

10th place out of 20 in ESP Sharp Shooter.

Oh well, I had a great time and my wife stayed and watched the whole match. Gotta give her kudos. It was hot & humid and she did not complain at all.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Took a couple of days off.

Loading ammo today. Trying new 9mm loads. Loading up some 147 PD's with 3.8, 3.9 and 4.0 of Solo 1000 and then off to chrono.

Shooting a USPSA match in Waco on Saturday. I'm about to start training with Jake Davita as my coach, so I'm filming the stages for his critique. Very excited about this.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

06/15: Live Fire Practice - Approx 150 rounds.

El Presedente's . Started drills super controlled and then worked up until the wheels came off. I managed a 6.5 second El Pres. Lots of points down and had 1 Mike. I then backed it down and got a 7.5 and a 8.2 with only a couple of points down, which is about 1 second better than my typical times.

06/16: Last day of vacation <_<

Loading ammo for this weekend's matches.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

SUPER BUSY at work after coming back from vacation. I did not properly schedule time to dryfire or livefire practice since Tuesday.

Shooting a USPSA match in Waco tomorrow. Can't wait, it's been a couple of months since I have been able to shoot a USPSA match.

I'm also picking up my new customized Ruger 22/45 steel gun tomorrow. C-More & Comp'd. The Dark Side of Steel Challenge Rimfire. :ph34r:

Edited by Paul Burtchell