Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38sc making major

bigstick0000

I am shooting 124 montana gold, imr 4756, loaded out to 8.4 grains and on chrono between 1300 to 1318 fps. I need to be at about 1340 fps to make major. Thought about using small pistol magnum primers or small rifle primers to get there. Maybe more powder? whacha think? thanks

You're using small pistol primers? Probably want to use small rifle primers...

Otherwise, it depends on the lot of powder you're working with, but I've seen everything from 8.5 to 9.2 or so for 125gr .356 bullets in my gun. With .355s, a tad more, again depending on lot. All of those with WSRs.

And, you really want to be around 170PF ;) Sounds like, switch to small rifle, and then load at something like 8.7-8.8 will put you where you want to be - but work up to that after switching primers, obviously...

I was loading 8.5g 4756 with Zero 125's jhp making 171 pf outta a trubor in .38SC.

But, I've run out of the zero's and it seems they have been constantly out of stock.

MT Golds have been readily available, and so I am making the switch to them.

I'll be chrono-ing them soon, but gonna start at 8.6.

• 2 weeks later...
I just loaded some at 8.8gr with 4756 and fed. small pistol primers and chrono'd just over 1400...176 Pf...I'm gonna dial it down a bit but the primers were fine.

Hi Pat,

One thing to remember about 4756 is that it is VERY temperature sensitive. The Hotter the air temp, the slower your velocity. and obviously the colder it gets, the quicker it gets. I am in Minnesota and a winter load could be 8.2 grains and a summer load could be 8.9-9.0 with a 125 HAP.

My newest lot of 4756 has drove me to the point of switching my whole recipe over, and I did., I now am using N350 with 115 jhp.

I just loaded some at 8.8gr with 4756 and fed. small pistol primers and chrono'd just over 1400...176 Pf...I'm gonna dial it down a bit but the primers were fine.

Hi Pat,

One thing to remember about 4756 is that it is VERY temperature sensitive. The Hotter the air temp, the slower your velocity. and obviously the colder it gets, the quicker it gets. I am in Minnesota and a winter load could be 8.2 grains and a summer load could be 8.9-9.0 with a 125 HAP.

My newest lot of 4756 has drove me to the point of switching my whole recipe over, and I did., I now am using N350 with 115 jhp.

Hmm. I had a similiar bad experience with 7625 lot to lot variation and was wondering if 4756 was the same. Looks like it is. I think I'll stick with Silhouette.

Hi Pat,

Hmm. I had a similiar bad experience with 7625 lot to lot variation and was wondering if 4756 was the same. Looks like it is. I think I'll stick with Silhouette.

Yup, I am completely done with 4756 because of all that. Now it's just one less thing to worry about