Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW resizing die

Brian or anyone else,

I have heard of the EGW resizing die that George Smith makes. I've heard it resizes better than the Dillon and other dies in that it sizes all the way down and sizes them a little smaller than the Dillon and other dies. It takes all the bulge out of the bottom of the case by the extractor groove and makes almost all the brass drop check like new.

Anyone have experience with it? I think I'm going to try it.

My question is...do you need that much resizing?  I guess it depends on your chamber.  

According to my Sierra reloading manual...For cases that will be reused in the same firearm, neck sizing may be a viable option.  You may end up working the brass more than is needed.  Excessive resizing can lead to shorter case life.

Easy enough to check I guess.  The Sierra manual says to adjust the resizing die down to where it just touches shell holder, then back it off 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn.  Size a case and then chamber it in the gun.  If any resistance is felt, lower the die body another 1/8 of a turn (or less), and repeat with another case.  This is repeated until the action will just close without resistance.  The case will then be "custom fitted" to the chamber.

Kyle I beleive that info is for rifles. If EGW makes a die in .40 it is so you can use brass that has been shot in Glocks.Gets rid of the bulge.The 38 die would help when you pick up pieces of brass that has been shot in someone elses gun.I use a case pro. Expensive but it works great.

Bill Hearne

Hi guys

The EGW is actually made for them by Lee. I'm using one now in 40, and will get one soon for 38S.

They do size all the way down and apparently it does help. I've had fewer rejects due to belling problems so far. I like them.

The other way to go is, of course, to get a Case Pro ($400) or simply a full-length sizing die and, if necessary, an additional single stage press. Cost of that should be much less than $50.

Quote: from Chris Leong on 1:36 pm on Aug. 28, 2001

Hi guys

The EGW is actually made for them by Lee. I'm using one now in 40, and will get one soon for 38S.

They do size all the way down and apparently it does help. I've had fewer rejects due to belling problems so far. I like them.

The other way to go is, of course, to get a Case Pro ($400) or simply a full-length sizing die and, if necessary, an additional single stage press. Cost of that should be much less than $50.

Chris,

What is the difference between a "full length sizing die" and the EGW die? I have a lot of Glock .40 brass and don't want to buy a Case Pro.

The info I posted above is straight out of the Sierra handgun reloading manual.  I might be a little guilty of cherry-picking the neck sizing from a section for single shots.  I was trying to push the envelope and see how everyone responded.

The info on full-length sizing and setting up the resizer die up is right on though.  It is for "custom fitting" your brass to your chamber.  Of course, if one wants to get Glock brass to run in their custom gun with the tight chamber then more aggressive resizing will be called for.  Just know that this will work the brass more and reduce its life.

The EWG die and the Case Pro are what Sierra calls Small Base Sizing.  I won't try to reproduce their words here.  The info is worth the price of the manual.  If you don't have it, check it out.

The EGW die is .001" less in diameter than the SAAMI spec. It's a regular die that does go pretty far down the case, but not all the way. Instead of leaving a bell where the die ends it's a gradual taper. Of course, if you're using a case sizing gauge, anything oversized, tapered or not, will not pass muster. So EGW tries to work around that by undersizing (slightly) the entire case.

The full length die goes all the way down the case, but is not undersized, i.e. it resizes to SAAMI spec. If you remove the primer

punch pin and just use the die by itself on a single stage press, then it's possible to set the die to run up to/just past the case rim and get the whole thing.

Of course, this means running a case-sizing pass on all your brass before it goes into your progressive press, but it's a lot cheaper than running it through a Case Pro.

HTH

Quote: from Chriss Grube on 8:02 am on Aug. 29, 2001

Actually The EGW die is a lee die modified by EGW. Lee Doesn't produce it for EGW. George machines the bottom off so that it resizes the whole case. Works like a charm.

Does it get the "bulge" out? This sounds like the ticket!