Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TA11 vs. TA33 ACOG's

U.Duck

The TA11 has proven to be a capable optic for 3-gun for some time but has anyone tried the TA33? I'm sure some have overlooked it due to its slightly lower magnification and smaller FOV in favor of the slightly heavier and proven TA11. I'm curious how the circle dot reticle of the TA33H-G will compare to the TA11's donut when applied to 3-gun. I certainly don't have the cash to sponsor a side by side comparison but maybe someone else already has. So, if you've used it or own the TA33, do you like it over the TA11, or vise versa? If you ever thought about purchasing the TA33 for use in 3-gun but didn't, why? I hope to spark some conversation and learn from the more experienced shooters on the board.

I'm curious as well as I'm seriously considering a TA-33 for my house AR. I need to keep the overall weight down so my wife can handle it easily and I don't want her to have to mess with switches etc....just grab and go. R,

All Trijicons are good. The problem with the 33 is that its not powerful enough for the longer shots you might see at bigger 3 gun matches. The other problem with it is that it is not good for really close up work, and would need a secondary aiming system for that. Like a JPoint or JP canted irons. Those are ok-but if you pit a red dot on with it you are in Open. If you use it and you have it handle mounted, that is one way to go-just not optimal. I have several ACOGs, and Reflex sights, but my favorite scope of the moment is a TR24 Accupoint. The TA11 has been a dominant 3Gun scope for some time-I don't see the TA33 encroaching there. If you like it-try it. I have an old Colt SP1 with a Colt 3x handle mount scope and it still shoots very well for me. I just look over the barrel on close work.

I have both the TA-11 and the TA-33. The TA-33 works very well for 3-gun for people that can master the BAC, it just doesn't work quite as well for me as the TA-11 does. For some reason, if there is a bank of targets the TA-33 tends to "suck" my eye into the scope more than the TA-11 does. I can't explain why that is, probably just the way my eyes work with that scope.

It is a great scope that will do anything that the TA-11 does, it just won't do it quite as well for me.

As an added note, the eye relief is much farther than what the specs say. I have the scope a good inch farther down the rail than the TA-11.

Bart - Give a serious look to the Aimpoint Micro's. Battery life is ridiculous. I use an EOTech for my tacti-cool rifle so FWIW.

Rich

Rich, the problem with both of those is it requires turning a dial or pushing buttons. While I wouldn't be worried about that for my own use, knowing my wife (and she would agree with this) it's not the best solution. She's a little loosey goosey on things like dials, buttons and such...lol. R,

Actually, with the current generation of Aimpoints - and especially the M4 series - you can just leave the thing turned on to a useful setting all the time. Change the battery once a year. Done. ;)

To the topic at hand, I believe magnification, field of view, and exit pupil size are the reason the TA11 seems to be more popular (ie, its more tolerant of being in a bad spot behind the scope, too). I've wondered how effective the H reticle might be in a TA11 (if they made it)....

Good input all. Brain thanks for your account with the TA33. Would you say that the rifle balances better with the lower weight and profile of the TA33? This may be a given but a first hand account is reassuring. Does the .5x magnification of the TA11 offer little advantage over the TA33 at a comparable range, say 300-400 yards?

Xre, you're spot on with your synopsis of the TA11. It has been popular and I believe thats due to the fact that it has been around long enough to prove itself. I have wondered recently why the TA33 isn't more common amongst 3-gunners. The eye relief is reasonable, reticles are comparable to the TA11 for the most part, and its smaller and lighter. On the flip side it has a smaller FOV and slightly lower magnification. The FOV seems to be the deciding factor. I'm sure this is splitting hairs, thanks for the input gentlemen. Xre, to the best of my knowledge Trijicon produces the TA11H in red, it may be possible to retro the green fiber optic into it however.

U.Duck

As for the balance, I really never noticed the difference. All that I know is that the TA-33 has the smaller FOV, which does not normally cause a problem if you keep both eyes open and the scope is on the move (from target to target), but when you become stationary for a little bit (like engaging a bank of closely spaced targets) then the eye tends to go into the scope and it is difficult to pull it back out. It is a little hard to explain, and it might just be my eyes that have this problem. I use the TA-11 because I don't have this problem with that scope.

As far as long range shooting, I saw a Trijicon Rep. shooting at the RM3G a couple of years ago (when the TA-33) just came out. He was using the TA-33 and had no problems ingaging (and hitting) targets out to the 400+ range. I do think the added .5 power of the TA-11 is an advantage at distance though. If you normally shoot under the 300 yrd. distance I think the TA-33 is an excellent choice for 3-gun, plus it is less expensive than most of the other ACOGS. I see they now have the horseshoe reticle option, which is nice from what I have seen.

As far as long range shooting, I saw a Trijicon Rep. shooting at the RM3G a couple of years ago (when the TA-33) just came out. He was using the TA-33 and had no problems ingaging (and hitting) targets out to the 400+ range

Rep or not, this certainly speaks to it, and ultimately the shooters, capability.

• 1 year later...

Old thread but I'll comment anyways- Stopped at Cabelas today for some "research". They had a TA11JG (illuminated cross hair w/multiple aiming points) and a TA33H-G (green horseshoe). The green illuminated stadia lines on the TA11 were blurry (no it wasn't my eyes <_< ), but I did like the eye relief and fov compared to the TA33. I thought the TA33's fov was really small and I didn't care for it. That said, I loved the green horseshoe reticle. I think the TA11H-G would be the one for me.

The TA11 has proven to be a capable optic for 3-gun for some time but has anyone tried the TA33? I'm sure some have overlooked it due to its slightly lower magnification and smaller FOV in favor of the slightly heavier and proven TA11. I'm curious how the circle dot reticle of the TA33H-G will compare to the TA11's donut when applied to 3-gun. I certainly don't have the cash to sponsor a side by side comparison but maybe someone else already has. So, if you've used it or own the TA33, do you like it over the TA11, or vise versa? If you ever thought about purchasing the TA33 for use in 3-gun but didn't, why? I hope to spark some conversation and learn from the more experienced shooters on the board.

I had a few TA 33's for a while. They were a good optic. You could do ok at close range with them once you practiced. In fact on simple el prez type drills I was just about as fast with the TA 33 vs red dots and irons.

Here is a video.

TA 33

Aimpoint in off set mount