Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vendors at nationals?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I was wondering what venders will be at the nationals? I ask so I can bring some extra cash to buy some stuff I may need :cheers: This will be my first USPSA nationals. I have been to lots of SCCA and other car races and there are lots of venders there. Thanks, Eric

It varies from year to year.

Brazos, STI, Glock and S&W for firearms along with Arredondo and SSI for accessories tend to always there. There are a handful of others that show now and then and depending on where the match is some local vendors may also show up.

I think the vendors haven't been doing all that well in the vendor tent of late due to internet sales, restrictions on what you can carry and how much on airlines and so on. My theory is that folks see products, fondle them, and make buying decisions while at Nats (and other big matches) then go back to the hotel or wait until they get home and order online so they don't have to schlep stuff around through airports.

I know that is what I did after Nats last year. I dropped significant $$$ on stuff I saw at Nationals after I got home because my luggage was already riding real close to the weight limit and I didn't have to worry about some sticky fingered cargo smasher swiping my goods. The only stuff I bought and hauled home were some Grams spring/follower kits.

Problem is, the vendors aren't realizing what is going on so more and more are staying home because they don't "get" that sales are made at the big matches but the actual purchase is happening online. This sort of thing is fairly easy to track with promo codes (why do you think promo codes were invented anyway?) but most of the vendors we see at Nationals aren't adopting this sort of strategy, yet.

My 2 cents anyway.

I remember my first A2 match. The vendor area was huge. Bigger than at Nationals.

My sense is that it cost vendors a lot of money to go to Nationals. The have to pony up a lot just to be in the vendor tent. Add the cost of transportation of goods and hiring help to help man the match, it adds up pretty quickly.

I have seen a huge decrease in vendor participation at Nationals. But some feel there is are a lot more matches reaching out to vendors so you may see less at Nationals but more product overall because of all the matches. Just look at what Safariland does for the matches, it is awesome.

As Kimel says, on-site sales really might not pay for the costs incurred while at the match. Promo codes are a good way to help track sales as a result of a match.