Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rust Removal

kevin c

Took a look at my 629 today and found some rust pitting on the frame. I didn't think that stainless would do that, but, now I know better.

The gun has a satin finish. Any suggestions on removal techniques that won't cost me the price of getting the gun bead blasted again?

TIA

:wacko:

What TL said. Also, there are also plenty of products out there for cleaning stainless steel (most in aerosol cans). Kleen King Stainless Steel and Copper Cleaner works well... it's for pots and pans, though, and you use it with water. If you use it, dry the parts immediately and coat them with oil. It really depends on how bad the rust is.

If it's relatively minor, steel wool's your best bet.

Flitz or Wenol polish took the rust off my Smith almost instantly. The problem with "corrosion proof" stainless is that it's very soft, so your gun will abnormally quickly. Honestly, I quit worrying about after a while. It doesn't usually get nasty like on a blued pistol, so I just scrub it off occasionally and deal with it.

Fine steel wool and light oil works well. If it sits for any amount of time without being shot, give it a coat of car wax after cleaning. Will help stop the rust. TXAG

Actually, steel wool will embed fine steel particles into the surface which will then propogate more rust. Use a green "scrubby pad" like for doing pans.