Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fixing a Glock Barrel Bore

Graham Smith

I had a squib go most of the way down a G35 barrel today and that sucker ain't coming out without being drilled out. If I scratch the bore in doing so, what will it take to smooth out the bore again.

Really? Have you pulled the barrel and tried pounding it out in the shorter direction? Brass rod and hammer?

If nothing else works, at least Glock tubes are reasonably cheap....

Take it out of the pistol and hammer it out the chamber side using a proper size brass rod. It will go.

+1. It's just a matter of holding the barrel solidly enough so that the energy will go into the bullet. And use a bigger hammer :ph34r:

I've tried it in both directions with the barrel fully supported with a large hammer and it just won't budge. So, I locked the barrel in a vise and carefully drilled out the center of the bullet. Once I did that, I was able to "collapse" the jacket and get the bullet out. I've been wanting to get a KKM barrel anyway, so I'll keep the stock barrel as a spare. Now my real concern is why this happened - but that question goes into a different section.

BTW, does any vendor here sell brass squib rods? I had to borrow one this weekend after my delrin rod failed to work.

Edited by Graham Smith

Just a quick thought, I remember from some time back someone (not here) suggesting that a good way to clear a squib is with a blank load. Load a case with a 1/2 load and cap it with wax. Seems like an accident waiting to happen but barrels may be a lot tougher than I give them credit for.

Just a quick thought, I remember from some time back someone (not here) suggesting that a good way to clear a squib is with a blank load. Load a case with a 1/2 load and cap it with wax. Seems like an accident waiting to happen but barrels may be a lot tougher than I give them credit for.

NO! absolutely not! Good way to bulge the barrel or worse.

BTW, does any vendor here sell brass squib rods? I had to borrow one this weekend after my delrin rod failed to work.

Brownells used to sell them in sets. Dunno if they still have them.

You probably can pick up brass rod at a hardware store.

If the max rod diameter is on the small side, usually the same materials display will have brass tubing in different diameters. I "nested" a rod inside 3 or 4 tubes neighboring diameters. A little lock tite and, presto - squib rod.

That's what I have heard but when I go to a hardware store and ask, no one has them. Maybe I just need to get out the phone book and start calling every place I can think of.

That's what I have heard but when I go to a hardware store and ask, no one has them. Maybe I just need to get out the phone book and start calling every place I can think of.

Brownell's has a nice one for about $10. Big yellow screwdriver handle with a brass rod sticking out. It works great.

Well, a little time with the phone book and some creative searching and I found a neat little hardware store near me with 1/4in brass rods and some other things I never knew I needed. Cool beans.

I'm also going to use this as a good time to put together a decent range tool kit that has some of the things I never take with me. First thing on my list is a hard nylon block to go with the squib rod!

Edited by Graham Smith

See if they have the brass rod in 5/16 diameter. That is a lot stronger.

Thanks. I figured out that would work for 9mm and .40 (11/32 might be better but not much chance of finding that). Now just have to find it.

As to 1018 - I've never heard of that but looked it up and it's called "mild steel". Interesting. The things you can learn hanging around here.