Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

24" Benelli M2 12ga for Trap?

Xfactor

I'm getting a Benelli M2 12ga with a 24" barrel, and setting it up for 3-gun style shotgun matches... but I'm also interested in trying out Trap with this gun as well.

Is a 24" barrel a severe handicap for Trap, even with the right load/choke tube?

I have a bunch of Federal 2-3/4" 3 dram 1-1/8oz #7.5 loads... assuming these are OK, what choke tube would you recommend for Trap?

Thanks,

Edited by Xfactor

I'm getting a Benelli M2 12ga with a 24" barrel, and setting it up for 3-gun style shotgun matches... but I'm also interested in trying out Trap with this gun as well.

Is a 24" barrel a severe handicap for Trap, even with the right load/choke tube?

I have a bunch of Federal 2-3/4" 3 dram 1-1/8oz #7.5 loads... assuming these are OK, what choke tube would you recommend for Trap?

Thanks,

I did the trap thing for a lot of years. Too many actually. I missed a lot of fun I could be having shooting pistol.

The standard for trap is a 30" vent rib barrel. This gives you a sighting plain. But the difference in the stock is to be noted. When you mount a field or skeet gun you are looking straight down the barrel. With a trap gun you have a middle bead. When you mount the gun the middle bead is actually under the front bead. With this sighting plain you hold the target just on top the bead. With a field or skeet stock you have to cover the bird to get it in the center of your pattern. Never a good idea to loose sight of your target.

The shells are fine for trap. I'd shoot a modified choke back to the 20 yard line. Any farther back than that I'd go to the full choke.

Edited by Ray_Z

The standard for trap is a 30" vent rib barrel. This gives you a sighting plain. But the difference in the stock is to be noted. When you mount a field or skeet gun you are looking straight down the barrel. With a trap gun you have a middle bead. When you mount the gun the middle bead is actually under the front bead. With this sighting plain you hold the target just on top the bead. With a field or skeet stock you have to cover the bird to get it in the center of your pattern. Never a good idea to loose sight of your target.

I bought a 26" Super Black Eagle II two weeks ago, but I've since changed my mind, and am swapping it out for the 24" M2. The SBE II has a mid rib bead; when I mount it, stacks perfectly right under the front f/o rod. I like the ergonomics of the SBE II a lot, but I figured since the M2 has the same ComfortTech stock, as well as a similar vent rib (minus the mid-rib bead), that the mounting/sighting would be very similar... I was even considering getting a mid-rib bead installed on the M2.

I know the SBE II (even with its mid-rib bead) isn't purpose-built as a Trap gun, so I was hoping the M2 would be equally as competent in this regard... just as long as the 24" barrel wasn't too big of a disadvantage to work with.

A 3-gun shotgun and a Trap gun are two different animals for totally different uses.

Of the clays games the Trap gun is the most special purpose built. With a field gun you can bust them up in Skeet and Sporting Clays. But in Trap with the always rising birds it demands the gun to be set a bit different.

That said go with Mod or Light Mod at the 16yd line. At the 20 start with Mod. This works for me with either 1.125 or 1.0 oz loads.

Go bust a few birds. It's a hoot.

Yeah, I have heard that the rib/sights on Trap guns are set up to pattern high (approx. 60/40 above/below centerline) to compensate for the bird going up... guess there's no way around that. But as for the 24" barrel, as long as I have the right choke, then it sounds like my M2 will be as competent as the SBE II or any other field 26" or 28" field gun.

Do you guys like the mid-rib bead, or do you find it unnecessary?

Some of my clays guns have mid-beads and I never notice them while shooting. I have shot my 3-gun Benelli several times on trap, skeet, and sporting clays with both an 18", 21", and 26" barrel (same gun). All were fun. I remember one night at trap when I shot better with my Benelli then with my Browning 425 and also have shot better skeet with the Benelli with a 22" barrel then my 32" Beretta 682 Gold O/U. Go for it. I also have more rounds through my Benelli then any of my current clays guns. That might be the key.

Just to give you an idea of a purpose built trap gun, I have a Seitz that has a 35" barrel and is set up to shoot 90/10. It is set up this way to compensate for the rise of the target. From the 27 yard line I have the bead on the bottom edge of the target when I pull ( actually release ) the trigger.

Some of my clays guns have mid-beads and I never notice them while shooting. I have shot my 3-gun Benelli several times on trap, skeet, and sporting clays with both an 18", 21", and 26" barrel (same gun). All were fun. I remember one night at trap when I shot better with my Benelli then with my Browning 425 and also have shot better skeet with the Benelli with a 22" barrel then my 32" Beretta 682 Gold O/U. Go for it. I also have more rounds through my Benelli then any of my current clays guns. That might be the key.

That's encouraging! Maybe someday I'll have some more $$ saved up for a dedicated O/U Trap gun, but in the mean time, it will be my M2, or nuthin'...

Just to give you an idea of a purpose built trap gun, I have a Seitz that has a 35" barrel and is set up to shoot 90/10. It is set up this way to compensate for the rise of the target. From the 27 yard line I have the bead on the bottom edge of the target when I pull ( actually release ) the trigger.

That sounds like a pretty serious Trap gun... I didn't realize that there were guns set up to pattern as much as 90% above the center line (!!)

One possibility I've been thinking of for Trap is changing out the stock shims for those with less drop (my M2 came with -50, -55, -60, and -65 shims... I think it's the -60 that comes installed) As I figure it, less drop = higher eye (aka "rear sight") = higher POI. I need to get to the range to play around with this idea and see how it affects the pattern location relative to POA. (I guess another possibility would be to swap out the cheek pad for the raised version on the SuperSport... hmmm.)

Thanks guys. I guess I'll skip the mid-rib bead and see how I fair...

For trap shooting I'd raise the comb a bit to make the gun shoot higher. Easier to hit rising targets.

They make "pads" that can placed on the comb and removed when needed.

Or, if you a "spartan chap", you can use duct tape to raise the comb. :goof:

But, a pain to remove and re-apply.

Mid-beads give you a reference point to the front bead as to how "flat" or high" the stock "may" be, and whether your "aligned" or off center with your face mount. Not needed, but common on American guns. You should never see the them shooting of course....if you do...you are "rifle shooting" with a shotgun.

Not to worry, if you enjoy trap shooting, you'll end up buying a trap gun anyway. ;)

Not to worry, if you enjoy trap shooting, you'll end up buying a trap gun anyway. ;)
Darn it. Don't tell him now. Wait till he's at least hooked.

FWIW: Three of us are busting out our 3-gun shotguns for some skeet and trap this weekend. Need to bring a 4th to run the video for the expressions from the Fudds.

Darn it. Don't tell him now. Wait till he's at least hooked.

FWIW: Three of us are busting out our 3-gun shotguns for some skeet and trap this weekend. Need to bring a 4th to run the video for the expressions from the Fudds.

:roflol:

For trap shooting I'd raise the comb a bit to make the gun shoot higher. Easier to hit rising targets.

Mid-beads give you a reference point to the front bead as to how "flat" or high" the stock "may" be, and whether your "aligned" or off center with your face mount. Not needed, but common on American guns. You should never see the them shooting of course....if you do...you are "rifle shooting" with a shotgun.

Thanks, Irishlad... :cheers:

I'm sure you're right about buying a Trap gun anyway. I've always wanted one - it just may take a while to be in a position to take the plunge.

By the way, that's the best explanation of why the mid-rib bead is there that I've heard yet... makes sense. With the Super Black Eagle (which mounts pretty much identically to the M2, and has a mid-rib bead), I noticed that the front sight stacked perfectly on top of the bead every time... so I guess the Benelli is a good fit for me.

Darn it. Don't tell him now. Wait till he's at least hooked

I should have..sorry. :o

Xfactor,

Thanks.

Just a cautionary on how things appear, beads, ribs, stocks, etc. Without a pattern test you never really know how high/low, right/left, etc so just have fun and experiment as needed.

If you are shooting and missing too low/behind, swing through more. :D Shotgunning is easy.

Good luck.

Just a cautionary on how things appear, beads, ribs, stocks, etc. Without a pattern test you never really know how high/low, right/left, etc so just have fun and experiment as needed.

Yes, I was planning to hit the range and do some pattern testing. I've read that this is best accomplished with some large pieces of cardboard (40"x40" or bigger) with 15" and 30" circles drawn in the center... then just aim for the center and see how it patterns. Not sure about the distance, and other specifics though - any suggestions?

Edited by Xfactor

Take it to the trap field and shoot it. Do the same at skeet field and sporting clays . Shoot 'low gun' (not mounted) if you want to improve your wing shooting. By no means is it an ideal trap gun or suitable for ATA registered competition but shooting it in any of the disciplines will get you more familiar with it which will equate to better scores in 3gun. Have fun with it.

Xfactor,

If you enjoy that doing it, then a 30" diameter circle at 40 yards is the "standard". Dot in the middle where you aim.

I'd be more concerned about how high it shoots, than the actual pattern to be honest. If you really "get into" trap, then you'll get involved in fine-tuning.

But, if you like doing it...I'd take mutliple shots at the same paper to see where the shot is hitting. Meaning, I'd want 60% of the shot in the top 1/2 of the circle at a minimum.

Probably 70% for regulat trap might be easier. Some go much higher, but!!

Being lazy myself, I'd just raise the comb and shoot it to be honest. :D

Good luck

You should see the dumbfounded looks when you show up with a M3. :roflol:

I actually used the M3 at a clays competition during college. We were down in MO for match, and the weather just did not cooperate - very high winds all weekend. Birds were flying every which way. I finally said, well, if I'm going to suck it up, at least I'll make it more fun, so out came the M3...