Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weaver V3 vs. Leupold turkey scope

Revopop

I had pretty well decided on the Weaver V3 for my upcoming rifle build. After much searching on the forum, it seems to be the only scope under $300 that everyone likes. I've got $50 in Gander Mountain gift cards, and they don't carry Weaver scopes. They do have Leupold, though. I can get the Leupold VXI turkey scope for about the same price as the Weaver if I use my gift cards. Presumably the Leupold will have a little better glass.

After searching the forum and reading up on both, everybody who has one loves the Weaver. Some have said that the Leupold may not work well for 3 gun because the parallax is set at 75 yards, but I haven't seen that concern from anyone who actually owns one. This is the Leupold I'm talking about.

So should I get the Leupold or would I be better off just getting the Weaver and using my gift cards to buy their insanely overpriced ammo instead?

For the first couple of 3 gun matches I shot I used the Leupy VXI 1-4 with duplex reticle. It worked fine. The duplex reticle is a bit thicker than the Weaver but the Leupy went up to 4x. Any of the 1-4x scopes should serve you well as a starter scope for 3 gun.

I have several of the Weaver V3. It's a great scope for the money, but I'm sure the Lupy would be a bit better, expecially since it is 4x on the top end. Slape either one in an Armalite one-piece mount and you should be g-t-g.

I was looking hard at the Burris PEPR mount. They carry Burris scopes, maybe they can order me a Burris mount. All they have in the store and on the site is Leupold and Weaver rings and bases for more traditional hunting rifles.

I have a PEPR mount I used with a Millett DMR. (The Millett was a mistake and I would NOT recommend it).

The PEPR mount is pretty massive and adds considerable weight, even though it's aluminum. It also places the scope a little higher and I couldn't get the cheek weld I wanted. Also, it's doesn't lend itself to putting the front bolt in front of the receiver. The Armalite places the center of the scope at the hieght of carry handle iron sights, which is what the AR is designed for. There aren't too many sources for the Armalite, though. Here's one: http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/armalite-c-397.html

Thanks for the info Joe. It's so new that I haven't been able to find much firsthand evaluation of the PEPR mount. I just kind of thought it was a lot like the Armalite mount. I don't know much about these dang rifles, so when I try to decide on something, I basically just search this forum for the thing that's universally loved. Hence the Weaver 1-3 and not the Millett.

I have owned and used most if not all the lower power variables. I would rather have the little weaver than anything close to its price point. Things change when the price goes up but for 200 bucks range the weaver is it. I have one of the Burris mts and like it. A weaver 1x3 on the burris mt. would be a fine rig.-----------Larry