Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P pro new guy ?'s

stewj

New guy here with some questions. I purchased this gun to start entering some compititions. I would like to add an adjustable rear sight and texture the front and rear of the grip. Would these be legal in the production classification of all of the different compititions? As far as the adjustable sights are there any problems with them? I always seem to need a slight adjustment of the factory sights. But, I do not want to constantly be adjusting the sight if it will not stay in place.

Stippling (texturing)the grip as you mentioned is fine for production DIVISION. (not classification) Alot of guys like to use adjustable sights and alot don't. In my opinion we don't need them. Before you do alot to the grip look at putting a strip of skateboard tape on the parts of the grip you mentioned. It works great on my pro.

Welcome to the forums Stew :cheers:

I and several of my good friends are shooting M&P Pros for Production in USPSA and SSP in IDPA. We have all gone to adjustable rear sights. I like the ability to really be able to zero my point of aim with point of impact. Plus, if you change ammo or reloads, different bullet weight etc.... you can then rezero your sights. I would recommend the Dawson Precision adjustable rear sight. Very durable and once you have it set I have not had any problems with it losing it's setting.

I have had very good luck with grip tape but, forum members like Dan Burwell and Mike Cyrus etc. can fix you up with some stippling.

Again, Welcome !

Edited by baerburtchell

I avoid adjustable sights when I can. Why? I've had the elevation adjustment screw of a Bo-Mar fly over my shoulder during a practice session. It's pretty odd to be looking at the bottom of the rear sight and not be able to see the target. I left the rear sight stock on my M&P Pro and went with a Dawson FO front sight. The front and rear sights are both adjustable for windage so unless you're high or low, you don't need to change sights to be on the money. R,

Edit to add: The biggest thing you can probably do to your gun is get some of the Compact magazine basepads...they're legal for Production and make reloads a LOT easier. Dan Burwell has trigger job instructions posted online. I have the URL saved on a different computer (I'm in the middle of moving) but I'm sure somebody else has the link. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

You can also add the aluminum replacement base pads that SSS sells. Thay are production legal. They also have about anything you will want/need for your M&P.

+1 on the Speed Shooter Specialties base pads!!!

I would recommend a few things for the new M&P owner to do:

1. Trigger job. I wouldn't go hog wild...Keep it at around 3.5 lbs but it helps a lot to smooth out the trigger.

2. I would start with a grip tape of some sort. I use TruGrip. It works great and is fitted to the grip. Once you think you are ready you can go with stippling. Just remember...once you have done it you can't undo it.

3. I use a plain rear sight (not adjustable) and a fiber optic front. This is, of course, shooters choice but it helps me to pick out the front sight and if you want go with a black front sight later just paint the fiber optic black.

That is about all.

++1 on Speed Shooters Specialties. They sell everything you would ever need for the M&P and they have great service.

I have never tried the base pads and don't think I will. I can't see spending the money when the stock ones work just fine. I don't have any problems with my magazines coming out of the pistol.

good stuff guys, thanks for the advice. As far as the front sight post I have a hard time deciding which type. A simple white dot is all I have had before and like it fine. I do like the FO one that came on the pro but I am worried about the durability of it. If I do get a dawson FO to match the adjustable rear what width should it be? If I need to polish the feed ramp and chamber what do you use and how do you do the chamber?

All I can comment on is the durability of the FO front sight question. I blew the rod out of my pro 2 times in very short order. I followed a tip here and put the smallest of drops of crazy glue on the rod after inserting it and it is rock solid after a few thousand rounds.

I have never tried the base pads and don't think I will. I can't see spending the money when the stock ones work just fine. I don't have any problems with my magazines coming out of the pistol.

I've taken all of my M&P owning friends aside and handed them my mags with the compact basepads and they all go "wow....that's SO much better". They put the mag at a much better angle in your hand for some reason. I think they're like a buck or two each at SSS and well worth it (at least for my hand). R,

good stuff guys, thanks for the advice. As far as the front sight post I have a hard time deciding which type. A simple white dot is all I have had before and like it fine. I do like the FO one that came on the pro but I am worried about the durability of it. If I do get a dawson FO to match the adjustable rear what width should it be? If I need to polish the feed ramp and chamber what do you use and how do you do the chamber?

One thing I forgot, the textured inserts that SSS sells are really awesome. Not too rough, not too fine, but they give your hand an awesome amount of traction. I don't care how wet it is, or how sweaty your hands are, you're not going to lose the gun with one of those inserts on it.

I've had FO sights go many, many thousands of rounds and don't bother to change them. Heck, the one on my Limited gun probably has 15K on it and it's still fine. As was already mentioned, a tiny drop of crazy glue, and getting the melting down right is really all it takes to get them to last a long time.

I don't like white dots, or white outlines, or white ramps. Why? Sometimes we shoot steel that's painted white! For the same reason I like black sights with the fiber optic insert. They work great on paper, but if you're shooting steel that's painted black you have an extra contrasting reference point...but that's me, you'll have to try a few combinations to find what you like best.

The width of the front sight is also quite personal. On a 5" gun like the Pro or a 1911 I like a front sight in the .090 to .100 range. some folks like .125"....it really just depends on what looks right to your eye. The best bet is to go with the same width as is on the gun now (since that's what you're used to) and then change it if you decide to try something different after handling other guns and/or shooting them with different width front sights. I'm sure Dawson would be able to quicly tell you what the most popular front sight width is in combination with their adjustable rear sight.

As far as polishing the feed ramp and chamber, you're best left to letting S&W or a qualified gunsmith do it. I'm aware of a couple of methods, but nobody seems to want to post the instructions in the open because people will almost certainly start ruining barrels attempting this. R,

Bart

I noticed that the height of the Dawson front sight with the adjustabel rear is alot taller, Is that a problem?

No, I wouldn't say it's a problem, but it does narrow the number of choices you have for front sight width etc.

I've found that my Pro is very close to point of aim/point of impact with everything from 115gr to 147gr ammo that an adjustable rear isn't necessary out to 40yds (haven't shot it at 50, but that's not too common) and windage has been the same with everything. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

All good suggestions so far... to which I would add a 13# ISMI recoil spring, and a non-captured guide rod (the 4.25" size, either tungsten - my choice - or stainless steel)... all sold by SSS.

All good suggestions so far... to which I would add a 13# ISMI recoil spring, and a non-captured guide rod (the 4.25" size, either tungsten - my choice - or stainless steel)... all sold by SSS.

what does the spring and guide rod do for you?

what does the spring and guide rod do for you?

The factory guide rod/spring is "captured", meaning they are essentially a one-piece unit...

Going to a non-captured guide rod allows you to use a spring of your choosing. The stock M&P spring is rated at 15#, but it "feels" a lot heavier than that. In my experience, it's too stiff for low power factor (125 - 130) loads designed or hand-loaded for IPSC. The 13# spring cycles perfectly with my 130PF loads.

The stainless rod will also add a bit of weight to the front - while a tungsten rod will add more still. A lot of shooters prefer the feel of a little more weight out front to balance-out the gun and reduce muzzle flip.

I bought the #13 lb spring and stainless guide rod from SSS. Me being impatient, I took the ISMI #15 spring and the bronze guide rod out of my G24C and put them in the gun. I really like the balance of the longer guide rod and its a lot cheaper than a tungsten unit. The bronze one is longer than the stainless one but you can't beat the price of the stainless.

Happy with this combo!!

ganderman

• 3 weeks later...
All I can comment on is the durability of the FO front sight question. I blew the rod out of my pro 2 times in very short order. I followed a tip here and put the smallest of drops of crazy glue on the rod after inserting it and it is rock solid after a few thousand rounds.

Normally, you melt those things in with a lighter so you get a bulb on both ends and they capture and transfer light.