Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What mags for open?

TwoShot

When I got back into the sport last year after a five plus year layoff, I bought an open gun. 55 years old and severe astigmatism have just about put me out of the open sight game. Most said get 3-140's and a big stick. That's what vendors sold for open. That is where I started. Most of the matches I shoot and the one I put on have 24-30+ round stages. I find myself using Howards 29 round big stick on 75% on the stages. I guess if I had it to do over again I would have 2 or 3 big sticks and 2-140's. Am I missing something here? What part of the time do you use 140's vs. 170's in open division?

I have 4-140's & 2-170's. I run with the short guys as much as possible. Basically, it's string dependent on:

A - Whether I use a big stick or not

B - Whether I start with a stick or reload to the big stick

My Grams mags never fail. :D After Beven, Bobby would be my next call.

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

I have 3 170mm, and 3 140mm for Open. Recently in the Columbia Cascade section most of the COF are between 21-24 rounds. Even though I can fit 29 in a big stick, I usually just go with 28 rounds. Plenty enough, never even drop the mag in the dirt. On stages with low round count and manditory reloads I use the 140mm sticks. I figure for most situations, having 3 big ones allows me to load for 3 stages ahead in case I need to RO or take paper and don't get to loading mags for a stage or two.

~Mitch

An extra big stick is nice when you are last on this stage and first on the next. It also is nice when shooting at dirty/sandy ranges so you aren't cleaning mags every stage.

I have two 170's but in reality I unly use one of them. The one bigstick and four 140's have served me perfectly though all local, area, and national matches. I've reloaded to a 170 once in the last 18 moths and it wasn't really needed. I use the 140 mags for classifiers requiring multiple reloads and short stages. I do everything I can to not drop my bigstick.

An extra big stick is nice when you are last on this stage and first on the next. It also is nice when shooting at dirty/sandy ranges so you aren't cleaning mags every stage.

That's a really good reason to have an extra 170 big stick. Never thought of that.