Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Iraq 3 gun competition?

(I have also posted this at AR15.com)

Hello my name is SSG Zachary A. Zuehlsdorf. I am with the Wisconsin Army National Guard, currently we are deployed to Camp Bucca, Iraq for Operation Iraqi Freedom. My unit is Charlie Company, 2nd Battalion 127th Infantry. We are the "Chickenhawks." Our home station is Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin, which is located about one hour south of Green Bay, Wisconsin. I am a squad leader within our Infantry Company and also the Master Gunner, head CQB Instructor, and a Combatives Instructor.

We are setting up a 3 gun match here to be run in October and maybe another one before the year is out. I have a lot of plans so far and have been getting everything together. Stages are coming a long. Got some vendors to donate items for door prizes and for advertisements at the event.(Very cool)

I am writing this just to see if any of you guys here have any insight for me. Slowly I am trying to look around at all the threads here. There is a lot of good stuff. I really need a down and dirty of how things run. Lately I've been in contact with Alex Wakal from Texas. Extremly helpful with all of his knowledge thus far. This is my first time running an event. I have shot in a couple but they were always amatuer matches. Friends or colleagues getting together and shooting for bragging rights. Never been to a "REAL" match. Anything that I really need to know?

Sincerely,

SSG Zachary A. Zuehlsdorf

Edited by zdorf23

Dude- I am totally knocked out. Hats off to you for serving. I think you know all you need to know. However, if you really want to know, I am sure much more capable people than me will help you. Here's a couple things: 1 somebody has to be the man in charge-his word final-on rules and stuff-that's the Chief Range officer and or Match Director 2 written instructions for each stage are real important so there's no arguing 3 everybody likes a couple of CQB hoser stages where you just let it rip. I'll sign off now and let the real guys get in here. Good luck.

Thank you for the input. Right now since I put the match together so far I am in charge(Match Director), my platoon Sgt is the Range Master(Head Range Safety), and than I have a coupld of NCO's and 1 enlisted man for Range Safeties. There will be 5 to 7 stages. 4 are complete and will try a trial run on saturday or sunday. We have a decent scoring system down and hope it works. Modified from the LaRue tactial 3 gun match from this year or last year I don't remember which.

By the way Mark LaRue is awesome. He is sending some "Dillos" with Iraqi 3 gun comp. written on them for door prizes. Sweet.

Everything seems okay.

Anybody interested in coming over to shoot in it?

Got plenty of AMMO!!!!!! :devil:

Thank you for the input. Right now since I put the match together so far I am in charge(Match Director), my platoon Sgt is the Range Master(Head Range Safety), and than I have a coupld of NCO's and 1 enlisted man for Range Safeties. There will be 5 to 7 stages. 4 are complete and will try a trial run on saturday or sunday. We have a decent scoring system down and hope it works. Modified from the LaRue tactial 3 gun match from this year or last year I don't remember which.

By the way Mark LaRue is awesome. He is sending some "Dillos" with Iraqi 3 gun comp. written on them for door prizes. Sweet.

Everything seems okay.

Wish I was there for it. Oh well, maybe next year.

Edited by mpolans

Everything seems okay.

Hell Ya,,,, I'll come over and shoot,,,, Send an Hummmmer,,, over to pick me up!!!! :devil:

Jim M ammo

LOL...maybe next year. I'm still looking for a 365!

Dreadnaught Industries LLC is sending a box of stuff...not as cool as Iraqi 3-Gun 'dillos, but some stuff that should come in handy :)

Alex

I wish we had something like this when I was over there, better yet, I wish I had thought of organizing an event of my own. I don't have anything to send you, but best of luck and stay safe.

What a great idea and a wonderful event. I can't wait to see pictures... Bobby & I will be shipping a Freedom Gunworks package on Wednesday!

That sounds great. We really appreciate everyone trying to make this such a big event for us. It is great to know that people back home care about us this much. Even sending the well wishes over the internet to us makes us know that people are still thinking about us. Life here is a little more laid back than the last tour, so this event was put together to try and remind soldiers about the good things back at home. Just because we are here doesn't mean we can't think we are home.

SSG Z

I wish we had something like this when I was over there, better yet, I wish I had thought of organizing an event of my own. I don't have anything to send you, but best of luck and stay safe.

Just knowing that you wish you were back here to shoot in our 3 gun is plenty. Thank you for your service. And yes thus far it is a great idea. Lots of the higher ups are jealous that they did not think of it first.

SSG Z

Anyone have a link to the YouTube video of the 3gun our brave soldiers set up & ran in Afganistan? I think 3gun could a huge benefit to our folks defending our freedom overseas in the armed forces.

How many slugs, will there be any kneeling, and do you need any help tearing it down? The only three things I ask after I find out the date of a 3 Gun. Seriously, God bless you guys and gals for keeping the world free from tyranny. Hurry home. (Don't forget to assign a Mr. Fixit from wheeled).

How many slugs, will there be any kneeling, and do you need any help tearing it down? The only three things I ask after I find out the date of a 3 Gun. Seriously, God bless you guys and gals for keeping the world free from tyranny. Hurry home. (Don't forget to assign a Mr. Fixit from wheeled).

Unfortunately no slugs.(I wish though). Kneeling, OF COURSE. Help tearing what down, the range. Silly question, that's what the enlisted men are for. Seriously that is one thing we have plenty of here. Manual labor, whether or not they know it yet. :roflol:

I gave a copy of your first post to my LTC yesterday and requested TDY. You don't mind an MP showing up do ya ground pounder? Seriously IM me for my AKO address and I'll help all I can. If you don't have set rules let me know and I'll send you a copy of what I have you can change them to meet your needs. Anything specific you can think of that you need? Let me know.

I gave a copy of your first post to my LTC yesterday and requested TDY. You don't mind an MP showing up do ya ground pounder? Seriously IM me for my AKO address and I'll help all I can. If you don't have set rules let me know and I'll send you a copy of what I have you can change them to meet your needs. Anything specific you can think of that you need? Let me know.

Seriously if you could TDY to be here that would kick ass. But you gotta be here a few days early to go through the registration we have setup or I can't let you shoot. Just kidding man. You make it over here I you can be the VIP for the match. Yeah I will even have banners up saying that the competition is so well known people are flying in from the states just to enter it. It's in the middle of Oct by the way. 15th thru the 17th are what we are planning on.

zdorf23 - you should reach out to SFC Aaron Hampton at the AMU. He is the Match Director for the AMU sponsored Ft Benning 3 Gun Match in December. I believe the email address is FB3GMD@gmail.com.

Anyone have a link to the YouTube video of the 3gun our brave soldiers set up & ran in Afganistan? I think 3gun could a huge benefit to our folks defending our freedom overseas in the armed forces.

Here

That's it! Thanks & best of luck to our folks overseas; shoot well and come home safe.

I would like to send some patches and pins as give-away items. Can anyone tell me do I just send them to the APO address, from Ireland, or do I have to route them through a military base or embassy. Any help welcomed.

Bryan

Pretty sure you can just send it to the APO address. Thank you for the message. Would be great to receive international support.