Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training DVDs

I have rented all of the Matt Burkette DVDs but only bought the "How to Train" volume. I also rented the first 3GM DVD and was tempted to buy it but at $50 I deferred.

What DVDs do you think are worth seeing and which are worth buying?

Note: With few exceptions, the less said about anything "starring" Lenny Magill, the better.

I have seen a few shooting videos but most of the time it’s hard to extract what you need from them. At least for me. I prefer to read shooting books as it makes me think about the process more and attempt to recreate what is trying to be conveyed. Think Practical Shooting is a great book for getting you to think about your whole shooting package. The best thing you can do is take a class from a top GM. I recently took a class from Manny Bragg and was shocked at how much he was able to articulate the right way of doing things. A video can't watch you shoot and point out exactly where you are screwing up and then show you the exact nuance that you are messing up. You can only assume that your form is what it should be while watching a video.

I say instead video yourself shooting and study those looking for weaknesses and work on that as a tool for improvement. I get 100 times more out of watching myself shoot verses a top shooter on a video.

Sorry, this is probably not the answer you are looking for :unsure:

I bought the GM1+2 and thought they were worth the money. I think seeing 3 different takes on the same thing is helpful. Some of what is covered is pretty basic and also covered by the Burkett films (like the draw), but I think they spend a little more time on really specific mechanics of everything. I am not sure they are really necessary to own if you can borrow them.

In the long run I think they are pretty cheap if you can get anything out of them. I wish I had bought a few a couple years ago.

The "video yourself" is no doubt a good suggestion, and I should do that too. The only issue is I really don't want to watch myself so...

Edited by bofe954

Burkett's IPSC Strategies DVD is inexpensive and very worthwhile - not just for what he gives you straight out, but there's a lot you can read in between the lines on, too. The hatcam footage along with the descriptions of the stages, and the 3rd person perspective on all the same stages gives you a comprehensive look at strategy and execution of stages.

Speed Shooters International has 3GM2, www.speedshooter.com

I own 3GM, Burketts 1-3, Sauls Master Class 1-2 plus the DVD on the mental aspects.

Another you might want to think about the Tactics of teh 2007 Open L10 nationals Saul did with Angus. It gives you tips and insights about seeing options and choosing the right tactics.

i hope to buy 3GM2 soon, though.

• 1 month later...
I bought the GM1+2 and thought they were worth the money. I think seeing 3 different takes on the same thing is helpful. Some of what is covered is pretty basic and also covered by the Burkett films (like the draw), but I think they spend a little more time on really specific mechanics of everything. I am not sure they are really necessary to own if you can borrow them.

In the long run I think they are pretty cheap if you can get anything out of them. I wish I had bought a few a couple years ago.

The "video yourself" is no doubt a good suggestion, and I should do that too. The only issue is I really don't want to watch myself so...

I'm in the market for a training DVD. Which DVD is this? I could not find GM 1+2 when I searched. Considering the Matt Burkett DVD's but your description sounds interesting...

I'll go out on a limb here and make another recommendation... I do agree with CHA-LEE's assertion above that hte best way to learn basic techniques is in training with someone who really understands and can teach it. Failing that, Burkett's series is a good starting point (haven't seen Ron Avery's stuff, yet, so can't comment there).

The stuff I've really gotten the most out of, though, in terms of DVDs are the match footage DVDs - especially those featuring top shooters and including commentary on the strategy of the stages. The Burkett DVD I mentioned above (IPSC Strategies) is a great one. I also have several of Saul Kirsch's DVDs - those are great resources, as well. Eric Grauffel apparently has one or more that feature commentary from him, as well.

What you get out of those - if you pay attention not just to commentary (which helps) but also the actions the competitors take - is a wealth of knowledge on stage strategy, including what things tend to be a wash, what things make a big difference, and how to be efficient in your attack plan. Comparing video of yourself back to those DVDs is also a great way to pick up areas to improve upon...

FWIW, anyway :)

The stuff I've really gotten the most out of, though, in terms of DVDs are the match footage DVDs - especially those featuring top shooters and including commentary on the strategy of the stages. The Burkett DVD I mentioned above (IPSC Strategies) is a great one. I also have several of Saul Kirsch's DVDs - those are great resources, as well. Eric Grauffel apparently has one or more that feature commentary from him, as well.

+1

The DVD from Eric Grauffel is outstanding and breaks down every stage, movement etc. He explains why he does what he does and also why he may change a technique for a certain stage. Excellent, excellent video.....I would say the best so far. Think it was his 2007 video.

Haven't seen any of Saul's video other than the Nationals video which are always great to watch and Saul provides some great insight. Burkett Ipsc strategies is also very good at this.

Flyin

I think it depends where you are at. The 3GM and Burkett 1-4 helped me a lot last year, I was a low end C shooter. I really wasn't doing a lot of basic fundamental things correctly, like draws, reloads and really just stance.

They also helped me figure out and practice some things I rarely see in matches, like going prone. Our state sectional had a prone stage this year and it was huge for me to have practiced that a few times in dry fire and live fire. A lot of guys were not planting the gun on the ground and you could see the recoil issues it created.

Those videos and a lot of dry fire took me from a C shooter that would get beat by a lot of C's to a C shooter that can occasionally beat B's.

I'll have to look into the IPSC strategies and some of the match stuff you guys are recommending, maybe I could start beating B's consistently by next year.

Or become a B yourself. :D

I think that will happen. I think I am shooting like a bottom end B right now but my classifiers are lagging behind.

My first B classifier was SS nats last year, it was 60 point something. I've shot a number of 50+'s since then and I think I have 70+ coming with the next update. I am pretty sure it won't be enough this year though. I won't be shooting many matches/classifers between now and SS Nats next year though.