Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Detective Special in USPSA

Cherryriver

Here's a YouTube of my '69 Detective Special in action at a USPSA match in Michigan today.

I've vowed for years to do the snubnose thing in a sport oriented strongly towards racy five-inch 1911s holding a dozen and a half rounds.

It ain't pretty, but it is a challenge.

Besides, I enjoy the sound of laughter.

Oh, yeah, this was one of my better stages of the day, so just use your imagination on the others. I think there's a mini-popper in the shed up there at Bend of the River still weaving back and forth.

Shucks, at ICORE, we're all doing the same slooooowww thing. Not so much laughing.

At this very same club, Bend of the River CC, Niles, Michigan, the previous Sunday saw the Central States ICORE Regional, the Wheelgunner's Revenge, JD Cleminshaw, Match Director.

I had the privilege of working that one. We had 103 competitors, which I think I heard was the largest ICORE regional ever.

But today I was in a squad with a 17-year old with an STI "USPSA" Limited 1911 who makes the peanut gallery gasp "wow" every time he runs.

I was merely comic relief.

In my (feeble) defense, I did go 18 Alpha, 5 Charlie, 1 Delta. It just took a while.

Perhaps one more thing would be that at least, I've carried this gun in real life (not in my home state!). It might add to the authenticity, anyway.

I know this gun had a front sight, but I haven't seen the thing in a number of years.

Bill, I don't like being the one to tell you this, but you are the comic relief at most of the matchs at BORCC. :lol:

I do admire your sense of adventure and good spirit. Maybe more of us should be willing to branch out into new areas.

Glad you had fun.

Mike-

Expect a nominal cover charge in the future.

I hope you guys appreciate how much effort goes into being silly. It's not a simple thing, nor is it for the uncommitted.

But there's no club I love going to more than Bend of the River. A super duper bunch and it's a privilege to be allowed on the property. When I am.

Maybe that's why I'm able to get up at 3-freaking-forty-five in the A.M. every month to ride 120 miles to shoot a match there.

It can't be the "crazy" thing...

It can't be the "crazy" thing...

Well, there is the issue with shooting a Webley, if that's not "crazy" what is? You will do almost anything to get the respect of the revolver crowd.

I thought you did quite well. :) I'm looking forward to running the SP101 at club level after a grip change. [threadjack on] If anyone has experience moonclipping one of these I'm all ears. [threadjack mode off]

It shouldn't be any different than moonclipping a Smith & Wesson. Call one of the clip makers and get some clips, then take or send it with one or two clips to a smith who does that kind of work.

Bill has been known to bring a bolt action rifle to a 3 gun match. I'm sure he will pipe up as to what it was. I thought I was old school with my M1A at that match. There is no end to the entertainment he provides at a match and in verbose emails describing how he did (insert crazy stunt here).

Bill is a great shooter and should be welcome on any range, always helping out with resetting stages, running shooters, setup and tear down.

I thought you did quite well. :) I'm looking forward to running the SP101 at club level after a grip change. [threadjack on] If anyone has experience moonclipping one of these I'm all ears. [threadjack mode off]

Try www.moonclips.com They can give you a referral for all you need (machineing and clips).