Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sewer back-ups

Canuck223

Good news is, my loading bench and supplied were spared the flood. Equally good, the kids toys they "forgot" to clean up didn't escape. Bagged and ready for the truck now!!!

We got back this morning after picking up the kids. They'd spent three weeks with Grandma at the cottage. Ben ran downstairs for something, and came up asking, "Why is there water in the basement?"

The guys from the public works came over after MrsCanuck223 and I shovelled the shit and toys out of the way of the drain. They ran 90 feet of snake out to the street, and fortunately they didn't find any roots in the cutter.

Now I just need to run a dehumidifier and fan in the basement, and mop the shit out of it, literally. I see a few bottles of ammonia in my future.

Could have been worse I suppose. The basement is unfinished, so no carpet or flooring was damaged.

Hmmmm..... I would be a little concerned if they didn't find any blockage. There are a couple of things to look at. The first is how much water/crap/etc was in the basement. If your blockage was in the transverse line out to the main you would have no more water in the basement than you were putting down the drain. Usually you will see a fair amount of water only if you have a couple showers in a row before you note the backup. Also there shouldn't been any "special" presents in there that didn't come from your.... your..... uh, home.

If you were really heavily flooded (I've seen almost a foot deep in a slab home) I would be concerned that there was/is a partial blockage in the main line outside your home. By any chance are you the lowest home in the area? If so you might want to call the city and ask them to check out the main.

Just a thought.

Hmmmm..... I would be a little concerned if they didn't find any blockage. There are a couple of things to look at. The first is how much water/crap/etc was in the basement. If your blockage was in the transverse line out to the main you would have no more water in the basement than you were putting down the drain. Usually you will see a fair amount of water only if you have a couple showers in a row before you note the backup. Also there shouldn't been any "special" presents in there that didn't come from your.... your..... uh, home.

If you were really heavily flooded (I've seen almost a foot deep in a slab home) I would be concerned that there was/is a partial blockage in the main line outside your home. By any chance are you the lowest home in the area? If so you might want to call the city and ask them to check out the main.

Just a thought.

We're on a street with a fair pitch to it, to the extent that the local joggers and bike riders use our street for hill training. However, we are not at the bottom. We're perhaps 10 houses up from the lowest point.

We believe the problem is that there is not enough of a downword angle in the transverse pipe. Our town keep records of call-outs for sewer issues, and our place seems to have had a call out every couple of years. Odds are there was a clot of greese or toilet paper that continued to collect material until it dammed up the pipe. The effluent in the basement was most likely from the laundry and dishwasher we turned on just prior to leaving to pick up the kids.

While I like the idea of a check valve, I'm worried that it's not a real fix. Instead of a basement flood, I suspect my first clue of a problem would be the same material flowing out of the dishwasher or washing machine on the first floor.

Instead of digging up the lateral to install check valve, unscrew the top out of the clean-out at the street and put a pop up top on instead. It only costs about $10.00 from Home Depot. Sounds like the problem is downstream from your place.

DaG