Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Band of Brother Hero Passes

Dalmas

As a serving Infantry officer, I am inspired by the Band of Brothers book and movie. The WWII generation's contribution during the war and after the war made the USA the envy of the world.

My father is a WWII vet and earned the Purple Heart in the Huertgen Forest. His generation seldom speaks of their service - it was expected of his generation. A more remarkable event for his generation was someone who did not serve or who did not contribute to the war effort. It was only upon my return from Iraq after a combat tour with the 48th IBCT that he spoke of his memories of his actions.

The movie, Saving Private Ryan literally changed my life. And the Band of Brothers series and book, both continue and enhanced my love and respect for WW 2 history and those that made the history. The irony is that we just witnessed a multi millon dollar ceremony for a child molester, whose only contribution to society is that he had made some songs that at the time, were popular, and yet I am just finding out about a hero dying.

What has become of our society?

Oddly enough, I read the Band of Brother, probably the last book I actually finished, on the way to adopt my son from Guatemala. And the whole time, I realized that if not for people like Mr. Powers, I probably would not have the freedoms that allowed me to make that trip to adopt my son.

There are a few of the heros left, most of which never even reached what little notoriety that even Mr. Powers reached.

I know of one in my small town of 5000, who served in North Africa. I had the great priviledge of visiting with him and his wonderful stories being a tank commander. How he had multiple tanks shot out from under him. How he escaped a POW camp, etc. etc. etc. And, how proud I was of my brother in law, when he was home on leave last year from Iraq, and he met this hero at a veterans day ceremony at the school they both attended.

I am getting ready to shoot a 3 gun match tommorrow, and dont' you think I have these people to thank for me to be able to even own the guns to go to the match, let alone the abiltiy to go freely, without special permit or permission, to this match.

Please, if any of you meet any of these men, these unsung heros. Visit with them, thank them, buy a cup of coffee, beer, or whatever, and spend precious moments with them. Trust me, you will not ever regret it.

RIP After hosting the last Doolittle Raiders Reunion our Jeep club members (Rangers, Marines, modern vets, and me the wannabee) were speechless. To the man, they said it was their job...but they were world changing heros. I've said in these pages how I appreciate liberty and freedom. I was addressing the readers, the brave men and women protecting me now, and I'm sure they are humbled by the stories from the past. I commit to use these powerful inspirations to thank those I can, aware that there are many we can't even know about. Some of you will be at 3 Gun matches, others will gather at your clubs' version of the Tim Daugherty Memorial Toys for Tots Charity Pistol Match, more will miss these events while seated in a patrol car or an MRAP. Thanks to you and your families...