Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird Glock Malf

Larrys1911

Shot the local IDPA match today. We shoot two runs. First run was OK no gun related problems just Larry related.

Second run I had FOUR times that the Mag ejected itself.

I have been shooting "this" gun for almost a year and have never had this problem with this gun or any other Glock, or 1911 for that matter. It has the extended release but still I have never had this happen before in any of my Glocks and they all have it except my 23 that I carry most of the time.

I checked my grip to see if I was doing it with my Support hand, but if I am, I dont see how. I can, if I TRY, hit it with my "social" finger on my strong hand, but I have to TRY.

Mags look OK and the Release looks OK

Anyone seen this before?

Im at a loss.

Larry P

Since a year I own a 3rd gen G17 with 6 17-cap magazines and the extended magazine release button and have not had any problems with the magazines ejecting themselves.

I think that TSC has a point maybe, could it be that the magazines were not seated properly ?

No the mags were seated and the problem would come up about 4-8 rounds into a string not after the first shot. all 10 round mags.

TSC, You also saw me pull on the mag to ensure it was seated and it was.

DOH I didnt even think to check and see if it was the same mags doing it.

I also had the two that wouldnt drop from the gun with me today and I havent shot them at all since I borrowed them from you. I think my uh ohs were worse than yours BTW, Bang Jam, clear jam where the hell is the mag, that was that black thing i saw, reload, gee hope that doesnt happen again. Bang

Or OH SHEEEEOOT hit the mag its falling out. Oh yea I was watching the sights SURE I was. perfect -0 hit on a NT, sure I saw the sights the whole time!

Ive had three people tell me on other forums to check the spring. Apparently David Sevigney had the same problem a while back. Think I might shoot him an e-mail too!

Out of 60 rounds it dropped the mag 4 times so it was to random to try to make it occur.

Ive been trying to shoot with a more relaxed strong hand to improve my splits but thats the only thing I have changed. Even when trying to push the release with my weak hand by gripping HARD I cant do it!

Larry P

LOST

It sounds like the mag catch spring to me. BJ has broken two of them in 2 1/2 yrs from practicing reloads. It is just a small piece of wire that will appear to be bent, not broken entirely. It seems they get a stress fracture and will not hold the mag any longer. It is an easy repair if the spring doesn't break off when you try to pull it out. If it breaks be ready to send it back to Glock.

It sounds like the mag catch spring to me. BJ has broken two of them in 2 1/2 yrs from practicing reloads. It is just a small piece of wire that will appear to be bent, not broken entirely. It seems they get a stress fracture and will not hold the mag any longer. It is an easy repair if the spring doesn't break off when you try to pull it out. If it breaks be ready to send it back to Glock.

THANKS A LOT.

I consider that a HEX by you :angry:

Seriously I pulled it out tonight and tried it compared to another Glock and knew at that point it was FUBAR.

Sure enough I could see it was bent, when I tried to pull it our it broke.

I tried a dental pick - AINT happenin.

If anyone knows how PLEASE share it!

SHEEEEET! Just GREAT!

INDESTRUCTABLE MY @$$! First a Slide now a penny part.

Of course Dad and PaPaw said I could tare up an anvil with a rubber mallet!!

On the plus side it wasnt anything I was doing wrong :)

Thanks for the help Guys

I had a feeling it had something to do with the breechface.

We have several glocks back here owned by shooter friends that experienced breechface failures also. Two G17's from a shooting buddy barely made it in the 10K round count when both failed.

Really sad because warranty work is quite difficult (if at all) considering glocks cost about $1K bucks here. :(

If it breaks be ready to send it back to Glock.

The first one required a new frame from Glock. The second one, I was very gentle in removing the broken spring/piece of wire. I have come to the conclusion that if you practice reloads a lot, this should be a part that is replaced annually like the other springs just to prevent the hassle of trying to replace it once it has broken.

I think we gotta beat 2. I'm competitive, but I don't want to beat that title. Chances are I would reach it in the middle of a big match. :o

That was a joke Big Guy.

I will be replacing all of mine real soon.

and will have a couple extras too. Once a year would seem about right. this was a used gun before I got it and I dont know the history.

Maybe you should change it to Master Sand Captain

Larry P

PS Good luck this weekend.