Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New RO

leam

The ink is nearly dry on my RO card. Having never been to a major match, much less shot in one, what are some things I could do as junior RO and what can I do twixt now and then to prepare? The GA state championship is in 3 months.

Leam

Yep... work as many locals as you can... get some timer and scorecard time...

Then... eyes and ears open at the state match. I would hope they'll put you with a more experienced RO to work with. They'll be more than willing to answer any questions and give you any pointers you want/need.

Frank

Everyone else hit this on the head, just stay involved at your local matches, run as many shooters as you can in next couple of months. You can read that Rule book cover to cover 10 times and you won't learn half of what you learn when you run shooters. Good Luck and Congrats on the new RO cert. :cheers:

Honestly just RO as much as possible. I Ro at like almost every match I shoot (not always by choice), but some of the other guys that took the class earlier this year only RO at their local match and it truly shows. Some of them still cant use the range commands without botching it up and others still don't know how to score correctly, etc..

You can read that Rule book cover to cover 10 times and you won't learn half of what you learn when you run shooters.

Actually, if you want to become a great R.O., read the rule book cover to cover 10 times and then you'll remember what you'll need to know to apply those rules correctly on the fly as you run shooters. Every time you come back from a match, review the rule book regarding scoring or other issues that cropped up to make sure you have your game down cold. Sometimes rules are applied incorrectly at local matches: be the guy who can straighten things out, not confound the problem.

And spend some time in the USPSA/IPSC rules forum here on BEnos...it's like dry firing for R.O.s...you'll be exposed to a lot of potential issues that you never considered but will probably run into at a match eventually.

Congrats and good luck :cheers:

Curtis

Are you shooting at EAGC this weekend??

If so and you have any questions Mark Ramsey is a CRO, and the best I know!!!

I'll be out of town this weekend but EAGC is on my list! Especially since the consensus here is to get RO practice. ;)

Thanks!

Leam