Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gizmo or Redding GRX

nheiny13

Assuming they both work equally well, the Redding GRX die is cheaper than the Gizmo which was $75.00 according to the last thread on BE. I have one and it works like a dream. Can't comment on the Gizmo-Do a search and check the thread out.

Assuming they both work equally well, the Redding GRX die is cheaper than the Gizmo which was $75.00 according to the last thread on BE. I have one and it works like a dream. Can't comment on the Gizmo-Do a search and check the thread out.

A question for users of the Redding GRX, I'm wondering if you have noticed any elongation of the case. It would seem that since you are pushing the case through the die it would stretch the case a bit each time. What is your experience?

I have used the Gizmo for quite a while now. its really easy to use and I have "Gizmoed" the same cases over and over and over without any issues in making the cases longer. They all still fit in the case gauge and shoot without issue.

I have not used the Redding GRX setup but it looks like it would be a little harder to go fast with it since you have to manually align the mouth of the case to the die as you push the press ram up. The Gizmo has a pocket that you place the case into and it "Locates" the case in the correct position. So all you have to do is put the case into the pocket then push the press ram up. You can do this quite fast once you get into the groove of doing it.

I've been using the GRX. i'm using it on my lee turret, which seems to work fine.

It was really slow, and would make my bench wobble like crazy as it requires significantly more force for a lot of cases than normal reloading.

So i built a moutn out of some cheap 1x3 that now has the turret mounted horizontally. Stick a case in the die, push it through with the ram. Built a little chute out of a flexible cutting board sheet and some masking tape. so when it pops out the end, it drops into the chute and falls in a bin on the floor. It's a lot more ergonomic to muscle the handle horizontally rather than vertically and load up by popping the brass into the die rather than guide it in resting on the pin, and I can go MUCH, MUCH faster than before.

Take a Lee 9mm Factory Crimp Die and remove the innards. Then see if you can run the 9mm casing thru the top of the die and let us know the results. Would suggest using Hornady One Shot lube or equivelant since the case is tapered.

Edited by The_Vigilante

• 2 weeks later...