Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 brass

Bulge at base or bulge due to bullet insertion? If the bulge is due to bullet insertion, if the loaded round chambers, I don't think you have anything to worry about. In fact, I think it's a good thing. You have a tight grip on the bullet which will go a long way toward eliminating bullet setback.

If the bulge is at the case head end--- What Steve J said.

WyoBob

Bulge at base or bulge due to bullet insertion? If the bulge is due to bullet insertion, if the loaded round chambers, I don't think you have anything to worry about. In fact, I think it's a good thing. You have a tight grip on the bullet which will go a long way toward eliminating bullet setback.

If the bulge is at the case head end--- What Steve J said.

WyoBob

Is the brass from your pistol? I have seen pistols that had been "throated" to the point that there was no support far enough into the chamber that every case that came out of the gun was bulged badly. This is a dangerous situation, as case rupture can detonate rounds in the magazine.

I use Dillon dies in my 650 and load 45acp. I pick up range brass and other than brass out of some pistol like I mentioned above, I have not had any problems with case bulging (I shoot a Colt 1911 w/o a ramped barrel). One of the guys in my club likes a Lee sizing die because it is not chamfered as far in as the Dillon die. He loads 45acp for revolver and says the lee die helps his rounds drop in and out of the cylinder better (I have a 625 also and have not had any trouble using my Dillon dies).

I hope this helps,

Hurley

If you want to remove the bulge so all rounds fit in the case guage contact Lee for an undersize die, call in not on website. If it is hanging up at the rim, turn the round over and insert the base first into the case guage and wiggle it around. This usually smooths out the rim allowing the round to drop into and out of a case guage.

If the 45 brass is from a glock, it would be "glocked brass". The barrel chamber is open near the base more than other guns. The bulge happens more with glock barrels than others. To get the rounds to case gauge, I bought a Lee Undersize Die for my 40sw, you can buy one from www.egwguns.com.

I reload 45acp glocked brass using a dillon die and it loads fine in my 1911. For my 40 and 9, I use the Lee Undersize Die from EGW. I don't have any problems with 45acp using my dillon die.

Randy

• 3 weeks later...

I gave up on my case gauge for my .38 super (and all my other pistol rounds) quite a while ago. I couldn't get many to fit in the case gauge but nearly ALL fit into the chamber of my gun that I would be shooting them out of. As long as they fit in your chamber, that's what really matters. It's way easier if you take the barrel out of your gun (you take it out to clean it anyway) and just drop them in one at a time.

Your case gauge may be a little undersized too...that won't help them fit either.

Just my 2 cents....