Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production .40 Loads

D.Hayden

Following up on Hungry Beagles post, what PF is resonable for a .40 for Production class? I'm shooting 173 now, but that was just for target shooting, and at the time I wanted it to make major, now with Production, I want something softer. I was thinking around 140. Is that too low?

I recommend you find one load that works for all divisions and sports that you will be shooting in and stick with it, whether that is major or minor.

As long as it's above 125, no load is too low....UNLESS (obviously) your gun doesn't function.

There are some other threads on good .40 loads as well.

Around 135 - 140 power factor seems to feel about right for Minor.

I see little reason to push the envelope and try to get as close to the 125pf floor as possible.

As Jake said...there are quite a few "minor 40" threads around with some real good loads. Check them out...try them...see what feels good.

Barkim.

I have seen several production shooters hit poppers and not have them drop. Edge hits or low hits that a major load will drop no problem. This might be a problem. Especially if it is a popper that activates something or exposes another popper.

I'd stick to a 140 pf load for sure. Should be easy to get an accurate load with Clays or Titegroup with a 155gr @ 950 fps or so.

I think I am going to move up all my production ammo to 140 (including) 9mm. When you go to the nationals and they have a calibration gun nicknamed "The Sledge" and when you see factory Triton 9mm ammo, chrono'd at 138 leave a popper standing... only to have "The Sledge" take it down, perhaps you need to prepare for this.

factory Triton 9mm ammo, chrono'd at 138 leave a popper standing...

The loads I just chron'd the lowest was 153 ( TiteGroup @ 5gr), I'll go back and do some 4.6 and 4.8s. Then run a few hundered through. And lighten the spring.. I don't think I could get < 140, so that shouldn't be a problem

I've see factory 9MM leave it when you hit low, but center or above always take it down. I think, although I do take much more time with the 9mm waiting to see ti drop. Aren't they supposed to be set to 125? I know they're just 'calibrated' by feel.

Getting my 9MM up to 140+ would be pushing preasures I think.

I've see factory 9MM leave it when you hit low, but center or above always take it down. I think, although I do take much more time with the 9mm waiting to see ti drop. Aren't they supposed to be set to 125? I know they're just 'calibrated' by feel.

These hits were high in the sweet spot. Yep, should have taken it down. We had all sorts of problems on the steel stage. Even the L-10 major guys. Of course by the time the super squad made it to that stage, they would have dropped with a .22. That's just the way it is at the nationals. I've come to accept it. <shame>

The loads I just chron'd the lowest was 153 ( TiteGroup @ 5gr), I'll go back and do some 4.6 and 4.8s. Then run a few hundered through. And lighten the spring.. I don't think I could get < 140, so that shouldn't be a problem

I've gotten loads as low as 133 pf in the .40 and still function a Glock 35 with a stock (albeit well broken in) spring. Of course, this was with Clays, not Tight Group.

Getting my 9MM up to 140+ would be pushing preasures I think

Factory Cor Bon ammunition chronos at a 155 PF out of my Beretta. You can easily hit 140, but you would probably have to use slower buring powders like N340.

Results!

All @ 1.185 oal

180 grain Rannier fp 3.5 tight group 727 fps = 130 pf @ 85 degrees STI 6’

9 lb . spring felt good, accurate

180 grain Montana gold 3.9 tight group 824 fps= 148 pf @ 82 degrees STI 5” 10 lb. apring

180 grain Rannier hp 4.32 tight group 930fps = 167 pf @ 85 degrees STI 6’ 10 lb spring tungsten rod ( felt good, accurate)

165 grain Rannier fp 4.32 tight group 947 fps = 156 pf @ 85 degrees STI 6”

9 lb spring / should try 10 lb spring

I have not run the chrono on this but it works and groups great;

180 momtana gold over 4.1 tight group @ 1.185 probably in the mid 150's

Good luck,

Old John

• 4 weeks later...

BerKim what kind of gun are you shooting?

this will seem stupid but to me it makes a difference. in my glock 130 PF loads do just fine. but when i was shooting my LDA the 130 PF loads were sluggish to me. also i n my beretta the 140 PF loads i had for the LDA felt like hot stuff.

so if i were shooting a

1911 style i'd say 138-145

Glock 130-135

Beretta 130

HK USP 135

"5 PF don't meen squat" is what someone will say. well to me it can depending on the gun and conditions. i've shot major loads in production, it's not nearly as nice. really isn't minor the ONLY advantage production has?

steve

God - Someone using Unique besides me. Yes It is dirty and yes in some measures it is difficult to meter. But my Dillon and my electornic scale tells me it is right on. I am pushing a 148 gr w/ 3.8 grains at 959. (tightened the crimp a half turn) But it is a powder puff in my hand (s). Virtually no felt recoil. I had this powder for 22 years. I hated it with shotgun loads. But the combination I am using comes from Lyman's newest reloading book and is referenced as the "

accuracy" load for that bullet. It is indeed an accuracy load and it takes metals down like my .45.

I know a guy who is trying to get he PF down to 126 and he is really struggling with it. I gave him "my load" but because it has a PF of 141, he doesn't want to try it. When I say "Powder Puff" in my hands I really mean it. It is so soft that I am starting to get real trigger contol.

"Be Safe Everyone and Enjoy Burning the Powder"

EXCUSE ME!! The trend of this thread is about .40s. My aforementioned comments were regarding my 9mm. I know that Flex shoots the .40 plus another friend of late. Over 90000 rounds through his Glock and no misfires. I have a hand problem and the "Gs" cut my hand with the slide. The 17 cuts on one side and he 21 on the other side. So now I am shooting a beavertailed 1911.

Does anyone shoot the Browning High Power? I have a friened who uses it exclusivly. He is a serious "B" shooter.

Speaking of "friends", I have been introduced to the greatest bunch of guys one could ever meet. All willing to help plus offering my wife good suggestions. It is time that I gave them their due and compliment them all. There was absolutly no way that I was going to do competive shootin. But after meeing these guys and gals, everone was and is so supportive that I just had to do it. They know who I am and likewise on my end.

Sorry for using this thread as a vehicle for sharing my thanks but I just felt a need to do it.