Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I Tumble rusty dies or dirty ammo?

I have tumbled damn near everything from old, dirty or corroded cartidges to dies, to screwdriver bits.

Everything tumbles just fine.

Specifically, you want to take the dies apart and only do one piece at a time. Use a toothbrush or similar to clean the cob out afterward.

Ammo does just fine tumbled for a couple hours, but it works better the more you have...

I did a much more abbreviated version of the experiment that JMaas described, using N320 (short, extruded, tubular powder grain) in 40 S&W reloads. The longest tumbled rounds didn't vary in average velocity, but did have some increase in SD.

I no longer tumble loaded rounds - it's faster for me to get the lube off using BE's technique of a quick rub down in a solvent sprayed towel (I use rubbing alcohol).

I've cleaned up the occasional heavily tarnished round by hand; a few turns in a cloth with a dab of case polish, then another few turns with a clean cloth, is all it seems to take.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried it against my better judgement.

Seems like the cast bullets got a little rough, Started having FTF right off the bat.

Only tumbled 30 mins.

As you can see by reading this thread there has been no problems tumbling loaded rounds. I bet you had other issues causing your problems.

I tumble cast lead bullets and they look like moly coated bullets when I'm through, but they are not rough and shoot like a factory round.

Buddy

I tumbled the 9mm that was green for about 4 hours and no issues.

The bullets look like they will work now.

It works just makes you feel like your doing some thing you shouldn't do.