Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Detonation

Fireant

I have never had a habbbbit of doing that,now I will never do it,--glad it only messed up your SHORTS and your pride,--WHEN YOU RO A match what should you do when you see someone do that ?

I load 40 on my 650 but I also use a lee die to size the case --I push it all the way thru-

what will you do next time you have a jam ?

• 6 months later...

I think I understand what the OP did to clear the round but how could a high primer do this? I can understand the round hitting the ejector just like anytime you rack the slide to clear the last round. But I can't understand why a high primer could cause this. Thanks- glad the OP is ok.. must be scary!

I think I understand what the OP did to clear the round but how could a high primer do this? I can understand the round hitting the ejector just like anytime you rack the slide to clear the last round. But I can't understand why a high primer could cause this. Thanks- glad the OP is ok.. must be scary!

Yes the primer hit something to light, but if it was high it takes less to light it as it's already sticking out there.

In my greed to get my hands on your 650, I forgot to say I'm glad you were not hurt... but you know that already buddy.

JT

Edited by JThompson

Funny, you know I have had that 650 off my bench since then. I was just about to build a new table to hold it and the 1050's if I change my mind I'll let you know. In my minds eye I saw the brass look just like that picture, but I never could find it. I also found that there was a sharp burr on the ejector which I think aided in the problem. I just want to point out again to never cover the ejection port when you rack the slide, it might never happen to you but why take the chance.

I watched a guy shooting a stage and he had a high primer. It was his second shot on a target. It sounded like 2 shots, one shot with a super quick second shot on the target. As the slide caught the bullet to shove it in the chamber it detonated. The high primer was sticking out beyond the brass and the slide hitting it set it off. The shrapnel hit him in the face. No serious damage but there was plenty of blood. Worst thing was that his daughter was there shooting with him and saw it happen.

Flyin

Funny, you know I have had that 650 off my bench since then. I was just about to build a new table to hold it and the 1050's if I change my mind I'll let you know. In my minds eye I saw the brass look just like that picture, but I never could find it. I also found that there was a sharp burr on the ejector which I think aided in the problem. I just want to point out again to never cover the ejection port when you rack the slide, it might never happen to you but why take the chance.

This was good timing as a friend had what we "thought" was a live round hand into battery. They had two guys working on it and the one on the right was right in front of the port. I walked in and told them they should rethink that because if that round lights they might wish they were not right there. Both you and Larry came to mind. I bet the one guys face wasn't more than 12 inches from that port. Come to find out it was a spent case after what had been a squib. The second bullet drove both out of the chamber and cracked the barrel. No outward damage... got to love those heavy Tanfos... that sucker held the blast and the only broken part was the barrel.

Be careful people.....

JT

Thanks Pal, you want to sell it just give me a price PM and I'll take it.

Best,

Jim

i just saw the same thing happen yesterday at a local match. The shooter was clearing his pistol after shooting the stage and he had his hand over the ejection port-boom. He was ok,just a bad cut on his left hand. The RO even had a piece of shrapnel stuck to his shirt. SCARY!