Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Magwell Comparison

Graham Smith

I don't want to start another subjective, which is better thread. I'm just looking for some facts from people who have Glock magwells.

First and foremost, I cannot find anything that will tell me the dimensions of the available metal magwells (Dawson, Glockmeister, T.H.E., and JP).

For the owners of Dawson magwells, there is a Standard, Heavy and Super Heavy weighing 2.9, 5.5, and 6.7 oz respectively. Are they all three the same aluminum magwell with different weight plugs? If so, does anyone have any idea why the Super Heavy is $20 less than the Heavy?

Does anyone have a name brand magwell not listed above? If so, do you have the dimensions and weight?

Thanks in advance.

I don't want to start another subjective, which is better thread. I'm just looking for some facts from people who have Glock magwells.

First and foremost, I cannot find anything that will tell me the dimensions of the available metal magwells (Dawson, Glockmeister, T.H.E., and JP).

For the owners of Dawson magwells, there is a Standard, Heavy and Super Heavy weighing 2.9, 5.5, and 6.7 oz respectively. Are they all three the same aluminum magwell with different weight plugs? If so, does anyone have any idea why the Super Heavy is $20 less than the Heavy?

Does anyone have a name brand magwell not listed above? If so, do you have the dimensions and weight?

Thanks in advance.

SJC 2.000 x 3.520 inches --- no idea on weight, but it's aluminum, so on the lighter end of the spectrum....

THE 1.665 x 2.675 inches, no idea on weight, but it's brass. Subjectively I like it best --- but that has a lot to do with handfit.......

The Dawson Extra Heavy magwell does not have the plasic insert (derlin sp?). I have the both heavy and extra heavy...practically I cannot tell the difference when shooting.

The Dawson Extra Heavy magwell does not have the plasic insert (derlin sp?). I have the both heavy and extra heavy...practically I cannot tell the difference when shooting.
I have the JP on the nightstand G22. It's really sweet and while I haven't tried many others, I don't see one much better.

Could you do me a favor and get the dimensions on those?

Edited by Graham Smith

Not sure if this is what you are looking for..both the Heavy and Super Heavy are the same dia: 73mm front back and 41mm wide.

Yes. Thanks.

I'm just trying to get an idea as to size of the magwells. I handled a G22 with a Dawson on it and it seems rather overly large and tended to push my hand up further than I am used to (which might be a good thing).

Not sure if this is what you are looking for..both the Heavy and Super Heavy are the same dia: 73mm front back and 41mm wide.

Yes. Thanks.

I'm just trying to get an idea as to size of the magwells. I handled a G22 with a Dawson on it and it seems rather overly large and tended to push my hand up further than I am used to (which might be a good thing).

It sounds like you are asking about feel, then.

You won't really get any sense of that from measurements. At least not length and width measurements.

I struggle liking Glock magwells, as my hand seems to butt against them pretty hard. And, they aren't attached all that great (usually...most just are held by an attachment to a plug in the back strap).

I struggle liking Glock magwells, as my hand seems to butt against them pretty hard. And, they aren't attached all that great (usually...most just are held by an attachment to a plug in the back strap).

Is it the contact with your hand, the attachment or both that you don't like?

So far, I have used the Stainless Lightning strike, Aluminum Glockmeister and Dawson and the Dawson Heavy Ice. Of these, I like the Heavy Ice magwell the best. THe weight balances out my G24 and the outside angles that make contact with my hands fit me just right.

Edited by HighVelocity

It sounds like you are asking about feel, then. You won't really get any sense of that from measurements. At least not length and width measurements.

I guess it is feel. I don't think I want something really large (like some on open guns I have seen). My assumption is that the larger the length and width, the bigger and bulkier it will feel on the gun.

Maybe I've just spend too many years working with numbers and data, but I just don't want to spend $$ on something based mainly on pictures and popularity. For example, I can see from the dimensions that the SJC is quite a bit larger than the Dawson - something I would never have known without asking about dimensions short of buying one and trying it out.

I've acquired a used THE magwell that I'm going to experiment with. That should tell me a lot as the size seems to be comparable - just a bit wider and a bit shorter than the Dawson, but very close. It's one thing to have fired a few rounds from a G22 with a Dawson and another to spend some time doing dry fire drills and bill drills - really getting a feel for it. It's entirely possible that having it push my hand up a bit will be a good thing.

I'm still trying to find out about the JP magwell. Is it larger or smaller than the Dawson?

for what its worth, I mounted a Dawson Ice mag well on my 17 this week. It works with factory mags and also with Arredondo extensions with no modifications. With one of my mags that is supposed to be drop free but doesn't always with just the bare frame, its just as bad or worse with the magwell. All the other mags I tried which work great with the bare frame work great with the magwell. I shot with it yesterday and did some timed drills and all went well. I'm shooting two matches this weekend and will report any problems if any

I tried the JP magwell but didn't like it as soon as I opened the package, it was small and very light weight aluminum which I didn't want. It was just like those little plastic ones (that fall off with full power .40 loads)

Here is the plastic one that I picked up used, it would fall off with 40 but stay on with 9 minor, I sold it and got all my money out of it

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=371099

If a Glock doesn't run right, or the mags don't drop as well, after installing some type of magwell/mag guide...the often cited reason is that they were installed a bit tight and have torqued the works some.

I shot two matches this weekend with the new Ice mag well. At the first match all my reloads were done on the run and I had no problems with the mags coming out and it was "smooth as Ice" to slide the new mag in.

At the second match, there was two stages that required a standing reload in a box. Both times the mag didn't drop right out and i had to shake it out which added time and then I fumbled the reload. I'm not sure but I think I had the gun angled too much already getting ready to put the new mag in.

On one of the stages we had to fire 6 shots into a target directly in front of us, do a reload and then double tap 4 targets, two on each side of the first one, and the 4 other targets all had "no shoots" covering most of them. The targets were only about 5-7 yards back with the middle target farther than the rest. I have trouble counting shots when I shoot fast so I only loaded 6 rounds in the first mag so I would stop when it went to slide lock. I think the problem was the mag was completely empty and too light. My gun almost always releases on its own from slide lock when I slam a loaded mag in it so I wasn't worried about that.

How do you guys count shots when shooting so fast? I reran the stage with full mags after everyone was done for non score and I shot the first target 7 times. At least the mag ejected smoothly.