Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 special loads for major

scottyinAZ

Hi gang, i might shoot 38 special for uspsa and need some ideas for major loading. i see in my load books nothing will make major in the special case, but i am sure it can and has been done. any info would be great. i do load 38 short colt, but i dont think trying to make major in that little case would be good.

thanks in advance

Scott

Scotty,

Talk to Buber; he once made 200 pf, in 38 Special, at a Desert Classic in a S&W 586! :surprise:

Hi gang, i might shoot 38 special for uspsa and need some ideas for major loading. i see in my load books nothing will make major in the special case, but i am sure it can and has been done. any info would be great. i do load 38 short colt, but i dont think trying to make major in that little case would be good.

thanks in advance

Scott

The only data I have is:

Precision 147 FP sized .358, 1.410 OAL, 11.0 gr AA#9, Fed 100. 1,140 fps out of my 6" 627.

Hornady 158 XTP, 1.470 OAL, 10.5 gr AA#9, Fed100. 1,000 fps out of my 4" 627 Pro.

Both loads were comfortable and looked like they could be loaded up more.

All the usual disclaimers.

Scotty--I had some 38,spl.that made major--they were 230 gr,wad cutters loaded with BLUE DOT powder,they were great for bowling pin shooting,dont load verry fast but tey hit to point of aim--some where around 800 fps :cheers: good luck

Scotty,

I've cast some 195 grain roundnose and can make major in my 2" S&W 66. If you are interested, I'll send you some that you can try, the heads only that is, and I can look up my data that I used. John