Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's The Name Of This Thing?

JFD

I just finished building a "target stand" based on a similar item I saw on a downloaded "IPSC Props" Word file. Ready for actual live fire testing, but I don't know what it's called.

Basically what I have is a steel plate welded to 1 1/2" steel tube. At the base of the tube is a cross piece of steel tube. At each end of the cross piece is a receiver for mounting a 1X2 wood strip so a standard paper IPSC target can be stapled to it, facing down toward the ground.

The end goal is the shooter shoots the steel plate, as the plate falls the ISPC target rises into an upright position, shooter then shoots the paper.

I don't get around much, so this is likely a common target with a commonly used name. I couldn't find it on any web site that has steel targets, but obviously I could have missed the correct site.

Right now I have a prototype that allows the plate to be height adjustable. I'm hoping this will allow me to adjust the force required to knock the plate down. The final product will likely be a fixed height.

I also figure that on EVIL days I can hinge the wood or steel to create a fast moving disappearing target. I may build this option in on the handful of targets I plan on making.

Any help with what this damn thing is called would be really appreciated.

I wouldn't exactly call them plans, more like a simple drawing.

Go to http://stageexchange.com/ and click on the "Download MS Word file for 3-D Props". What I made is on the second page, bottom row, 5th prop from the right. There are actually 4 views of it, but this is one that's a straight view.

Hope that helps.

I don't know what yuo call them, but we have some at one of the local matches. They are attached to a large popper. They can come up kinda slow, especially if the targets get a bit water-logged.

They are fun when they work though (and they usually do).

Flopper is good enough for me unless someone comes up with something a bit more "cool".

I took it to the range today for test firing. Needed to put a target "stick" under the receivers to tilt it back enough for my popper calibration load (126 PF .38 Super load - This is the best I can do) to put it down. Without the stick, it took 3 rapid fire rounds of my 220 grain major .45 load to put it down.

I determined that the distance from the cross tube to the bottom of the plate should be 25.5", so I took it home and welded it there permanently. The next 4 "floppers" will just have a single 1.5" tube for the upright.

I also welded a 1" SQ piece of tube across the receivers (with the plate upright) so I could mount an adjustment device for calibration purposes (threaded rod with a 2" SQ piece of tube for a "foot" and a "T" handle).

The bolts that were in place in order to provide adjustability for the upright tube caused the target to fall over about 6" to either side, depending on fate. This was actually kind of cool, but even if I left the bolts in place, they would dig a hole in short order, preventing the tilt.

I managed to put 2 "A" hits on the target from 12 yards away before it tilted. I'd rate it a bit easier than a drop turner when trying to hit it before it tilted (simulating it being a disappearing target, which it can be).

Tomorrow I'll decide if I'll add a second set of receivers hinged to the first set. This would allow the target to be dissappearing or not, depending on which set of receivers are used (controlled by how deep the stck is inserted). I imagine if the target is allowed to hinge, thus moving 180 degrees, it will be a bit more interesting. I could also just hinge the sticks to try out the disappearing idea.

The last thing I did a few minutes ago was weld a piece of 1.5" angle to the front of the upright tube as protection against low hits.

My other concern is the legality of the target since I'm using a 10" plate instead of an 8" plate. We had 5 of these at the club with really chewed up bases, so I choose to recycle them instead of using our good 8" plates or cutting new plates. Right now I've yet to spend a dime on the project, and intend to stick to that cash outlay for all 5 "floppers".

My plan to to introduce at least this one flopper into Sunday's match, and hopefully I'll have the time and energy to build another one tomorrow.

They had a similar, but more mechanically complicated target at Area 4 this year-- shoot a plate and it pops up a target that started lying face-up horizontally behind it (note: soggy target if rainy). You can see it in operation from a distance at the end of this video (caution: 2+mb). I don't remember what it was called.

In the many searches I've conducted trying to find a name for this device, I've also seen the poppers that use a more complicated design to pull up one or a pair of paper targets.

I could duplicate those as well, but they appear to be user unfriendly as far as weight goes. I already dread hauling full size poppers anywhere.

The fun factor does appear to be high though.

I got industrious this Saturday and built 2 more of these flopper things. I figure 2 more and I move on to something else, something hopefully original.

What you are describing is something like a beartrap or clamshell. We saw a version more like the one you are describing at the nationals this year. Contact Mike Gibson at MGM for further information. His did not remain upright, but flipped all the way over.

L

• 2 weeks later...

I had the idea that a clamshell or beartrap was different than what I built. Maybe, maybe not. I'll likely get a good answer on what these things are at my November match.

I completed the last 2 targets last week. I used the same receivers as the previous targets (meaning the paper will stay upright), but I also welded a second set of hinged receivers on. Choosing the hinged receivers will result in disappearing targets, but they can also be used as non-disappearing targets by choosing the other receivers. I almost impressed myself with these last two targets.

JFD,

I shot today with Brad Sitton (www.teamcroc.com/) who is the guy that put Stage Exchange together. He told the story of how that particular prop came into being. People from all over the world have sent him stages to put on the site and a fellow from Scandinavia sent him a drawing and one of the locals made one up. Everybody liked it and after some refinement Team Croc now uses them regularly.

Email Brad. He’s a super nice guy and I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if he had drawings he would send you. At the very least he would answer your guestions.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

I used a pair of floppers in two stages in my match Sunday. They were very well received. I had thought the non-disappearing versions were not much of a challenge during the testing process, but they were cool in the match.

The disappearing versions were FAST, and having to shoot them through a barrel made it an additional pain. I managed to hit both of them twice (A/C - C/C), but the intimidation factor was high. Only 1 person decided to shoot both plates and pass on engaging the paper.

I'll get pics of them, as well as that questionable target as soon as I can.