Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ed Brown Cylinder Latch

BigDave

I just rec'd my new EB cylinder latch (like the one sold in the Dillon Blue Press and Brownells) to install on my 5" 610. I put it on, but it seems as though its taking way too much effort to get it to travel enough to release the cylinder.

Just because I could and didn't give a hoot, I took the yoke and cylinder off of the fame and cut one coil off of the small spring on the latch pin (if thats what is called, the thingy that keeps the cylinder locked into the frame). It seems to help some. I also did a small amount of filing on bottom of the latch itself and sanded with fine sandpaper (1500) to help smooth things abit. It help some, but it still seems to take way too much to open the cylinder (the old button is better).

Any thoughts?

Big Dave,

You could take a black majic marker and mark the entire back of the Cylinder Release button to see if it drags any place. Would also check the front of the mechanism to see if any debris got between it and the back of the rebound shield. I take the spring thingy completely out of my revo hasn't hurt anything yet. I use a ball detent for lock up so there might be some difference.

I think I remember when this part came out, the word was spread that S&W had been inconsistant in cutting the slots for the latches over the years, and that you could not count on the part to drop in and work.

I had to do some fitting on my 625. The instructions were to file the slot. I chose to file on the new latch. That made the job harder, but everything came out right.

Swing out the cylinder and look at the breech face as you push the latch all the way forward. Is the flat end of the pin getting all the way flush with the face of the recoil shield? If not, that's the problem. Options are to file the slot in the frame, file the edge of the latch where it meets the front of the frame, or build up and machine a little extra material onto the front of the pin that pushes on the cylinder release pin.