Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSR Classifier reload times

GmanCdp

anybody ever check your reload times during the classifer or in practice in SSR? .i dont shoot revolver only 2 times a yr, local matches,but was going to tinker with it for a few months..reloads was in the 4.25 to 5.25 range...G'

Edited by GmanCdp

anybody ever check your reload times during the classifer or in practice in SSR? .i dont shoot revolver only 2 times a yr, local matches,but was going to tinker with it for a few months..reloads was in the 4.25 to 5.25 range...G'

My goal is sub 4 second reloads. I don't always acheive my goal.......

Here are a couple of videos of me from the recent Cherokee IDPA Wheelgun Championship.

(They represent my usual SSR reload capabilities.)

th_SDC10032.jpg

th_SDC10042.jpg

Edited by Dragoon

I haven't shot SSR for years but I was prretty consistant at the 3 - 4 second time frame... with my 625 it's more like 2.

BTW I always reload my wheelguns with the strong hand (right) holding the gun in the shooting grip and do all the reload with my left hand that way I don't have to drop the gun and return it to the shooting window.

When I time reloads... it's the time between the last shot of the gun until the shot following the reload is fired.

Edited by MichiganShootist

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned above anything consistently in the sub 4 second range is good enough for sharpshooter and lower level expert. Watch Jerry M. his is the gold standard for both moon and speed loader reloading. Consistently fast reloads while moving and kneeling etc is more important than that occasional 3.5 second flier.

I routinely do this drill to practice reloads. With three targets, set up like the classifier, load three, shoot them quickly, reload and shoot one shot into them again. That gives you a time to the first shot from the holster, shot to shot as you transition from one target to the next 3 times, and then time from last shot to first after the reload and then another three shot strings. Try to develop a consistently fast and accurate first shot, work on transitioning from target to target quickly, consistently and accurately. Of course drive that reload down to sub 4 secs consistently and then transition target to target the next three shots, REPEAT as necessary (this can entail well over 60 rounds). I usually stop around 50 or 60 rounds after I have gotten consistently good draws transitions and reload, but before I loose focus and start to fumble the drill.

I haven't shot SSR for years but I was pretty consistent at the 3 - 4 second time frame... with my 625 it's more like 2.

A 2.5 second reload with a 625 using moonclips (ESR) and a cover garment is a Master class reload. A 3.0 second ESR reload is Expert level. This is based on my dry-fire drills using par times on a CED timer.

I practice with 3 targets at 10 yards. Draw, fire 2 each, reload and 2 more each for a total of 12 rounds each string.

A good SSR speedloader reload where everything goes right is 2.5 seconds. Average is more like 3 seconds.

I shoot K-Frames and use Bubberized Comp lll speedloaders. I keep the revolver in my strong hand and reload with my left hand. My speedloaders are just in front of the holster on the strong side.

Why on the right side if you're going to be reloading with the left hand?

I suspect that Bill does it for the same reason that I do, I'm right handed so when I bring the gun down it's on my right side plus when I reach for the loader I don't have to move a vest out of the way, just reach strait in. Also, if you have to do a RWR and load with you strong hand, the loader is right there, unless you keep on in your pocket as some do.

Why on the right side if you're going to be reloading with the left hand?

Duane, when I bring the gun back toward my body for the reload, the speedloaders are closer to the gun. If I carried them on my left side they would have to be behind the hip and farther away. Everything meets at the center of the body. I lower the gun to about belt level for the reload.

1.8 to 2.2 for moon clip within 15yds, speedloader runs 2.5 through 3.5 and real easy to go a lot longer. Also a fast load is nothing if you don't get a good hit before and after the load, don't push it to much just let the load happen.

rundownfid..did this drill Wed night..started off cold doing stg 1stng 1,2,3 ..2.03 0dn,1.79 0 dn 1.89 0dn..did this pass 3 times then went to stg2 strng3 elprez..10.80 3dn [12.30]total reload was 4.25 2nd run 11.03 0dn reload was 3.70,3rd time 11.60 2dn[12.60] reload was 4.03.. ran it 3 more times all in the 12 to 14 sec time..practiced time reloads with 5 empties1 shot then reload 1 shot..best time after 9 trys was 3.23.rest was in the 4 to 4.45 range..guess i just need to practice with some dummy rounds..forgot to mention i shoot and reload LH'ed..