Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Search and Rescue of Garage Floor Successful!

jkrispies

I'm about to load up some rounds for tomorrow's competition, and as I'm undoing the protective tape on my precious Federal Large Pistol Primer box, six of them dive for the floor. :surprise: Yikes! :surprise: Like a coke addict who has just sneezed into his line in a public restroom, I dive for the cement and find three, but the other three are gone.

:ph34r: GONE!!! :ph34r:

So I undertake a Search and Rescue operation the likes of which my garage has never experienced. Everything that can be moved is moved; steel rulers scrape under immovable work benches; I sweep and search the dust piles like a CSI.

Recovered:

6 Winchester Large Primers

10 Federal Large Primers (alas, in a totally different area than the 3 I lost today!)

7 Federal Small Pistol Primers

2 Federal Small Magnum Primers

2 Remington Small Rifle Benchrest Primers

Total recovered: 27 primers!!!

Anybody else care to take the challenge and report the findings?

Edited by jkrispies

When I built my new bench, I pulled out the old one that came with the place and probably found about 10-12 primers. That's for about 3 years of reloading and probably ~25K rounds loaded.

I was organizing my reloading area because I got some new storage boxes.

I found a case (5000) of Remington BR Small Rifle primers that I bought off a guy last year at a match. I don't remember buying the primers, but I do recall buying the H335 powder. It was like you are in grade school and find out some hottie liked you since last year! :surprise: YEsssss!!!!

They are not for sale, but will trade for a single stack 1911 in .40sw, plus cash, on your part.

Out of my ignorance, I have been reluctant to use primers that have been handled, dropped, or subjected to unknown substances. Is that justified? Just how sensitive are these now-precious little things?

If they aren't yet used and haven't been exposed to amonia, load 'em up.

Without knowing your total pickup time.. how can we compare PUF "Pick-Up-Factor"?

People could really game this one.

I'd say no more than an hour, tops. For me, I had a pile of snow chains lumped up pretty much underneath my press. When I picked those up and shook them out, 6 years worth of primers tinkled out of them like needles from a dead Christmas Tree.