Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WSF in 9mm

mwx40x40

I am trying WSF in 9mm with 147 MG CMP's. But, I am getting some extreme spreads in velocity over 70 fps!!. These were loaded on 650. So my question is this: Does WSF not metter well(I usually check at least 10 charges in a row when setting charge wt, got +/- 1/10 gr) in 650? Or, is this normal for this kind of variation in FPS?

Thoughts ? Comments?

I am trying WSF in 9mm with 147 MG CMP's. But, I am getting some extreme spreads in velocity over 70 fps!!. These were loaded on 650. So my question is this: Does WSF not metter well(I usually check at least 10 charges in a row when setting charge wt, got +/- 1/10 gr) in 650? Or, is this normal for this kind of variation in FPS?

Thoughts ? Comments?

I might guess that your powder charge is too low. I was out yesterday chronographing calibration ammo for A1. One load with 3.6 grains and the other with 3.8. The lower load was all over the place, ES was 150 fps! :surprise: The 3.8 load was near perfect, ES was like 30 fps and SD was 8.7, PF was 119,526. Over powder has is minimum, you may have found what that is for WSF.

Keep loading up .2gr at a time and you will find the point where your ES will drop significantly. Every powder is different, and some show this problem more than others, on both the low end and high end of loads.

Thoughts ? Comments?

I'm assuming that you are loading minor PF loads? If so, WSF might be a bit slow. I use

it with a 124 for Major 9. Loaded minor you are probably not getting a clean burn. Try

a faster powder if you can find some. I'm currently using VV N320, but Titegroup,

Solo 1000 and a few others work well with 147 gr minor loads. Do a search for

"mousefart" loads---lots of data.

If you are loading Major with 147's--keep adding powder until it smooths out or you start

seeing excessive pressure signs--whichever comes first.

Thoughts ? Comments?

I'm assuming that you are loading minor PF loads? If so, WSF might be a bit slow. I use

it with a 124 for Major 9. Loaded minor you are probably not getting a clean burn. Try

a faster powder if you can find some. I'm currently using VV N320, but Titegroup,

Solo 1000 and a few others work well with 147 gr minor loads. Do a search for

"mousefart" loads---lots of data.

If you are loading Major with 147's--keep adding powder until it smooths out or you start

seeing excessive pressure signs--whichever comes first.

Thanks for the advice. I am loading for Minor. And I think I will go with S1000 or TG as I do not want a Max load of WSF just to get consistency. Thanks again for all the quick responses.

WSF should be reasonably consistent in 9mm with 115gr and 124gr jacketed bullets. When using Win cases and Winchester SP primers, I got extreme spreads of about 30 fps using Montana Gold FMJ bullets. Mixed cases gave somewhat larger extreme spreads.

WSF is a ball powder and meters quite well.

Chris

WSF should be reasonably consistent in 9mm with 115gr and 124gr jacketed bullets. When using Win cases and Winchester SP primers, I got extreme spreads of about 30 fps using Montana Gold FMJ bullets. Mixed cases gave somewhat larger extreme spreads.

WSF is a ball powder and meters quite well.

Chris

I just posted chrono data for some near-max loads (5.6gr) under a 115 here in the 9mm forum. Also loaded on a 650. Go look and see if the ES and SD numbers are smaller than yours - I can't remember. Should be interesting, since the press/powder measure/powder are the same, but the charge weight is much larger.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts ? Comments?

I use 4.1 gr. of WSF behind a 147 gr. Star FMJ for ca 900 fps and SD ca 15. The WW 14th Edition Reloading Manual lists the following data in 9mm for WSF with 147 gr. FMJ:

3.9 gr. WSF = 895 fps = 28400 psi

4.3 gr. WSF = 950 fps = 32300 psi

I have found alll the ball powders such as WSF, W-231 and WST to provide extremely uniform metering within less than +/- 0.1 gr.

Thoughts ? Comments?

Just for kicks I just loaded up a few to try & replicate the Atlanta Arms GSSF load using 147 Zero JHP's over 4.0 grains of WSF @ 1.10. I did'nt chrono them but they both shot well and grouped well from my G-34. Recoil was moderate, not quite as soft as a minor load using S-1000 or N-320 but very nice load nonetheless. I can see why people like it...

Thoughts ? Comments?

Just for kicks I just loaded up a few to try & replicate the Atlanta Arms GSSF load using 147 Zero JHP's over 4.0 grains of WSF @ 1.10. I did'nt chrono them but they both shot well and grouped well from my G-34. Recoil was moderate, not quite as soft as a minor load using S-1000 or N-320 but very nice load nonetheless. I can see why people like it...

I use WSF 3.9 Gr with 147 gr Moly bullet and do not have an ES issue. You may be a bit light on charge or too close to the chrony.

Mean , Spread, Std Dev, PF

928.5, 30.1, 10.3, 136,489.5

Edited by kaiserb