Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Universal Clays

burntcrispy

I just got some Universal Clays by mistake. (usually shoot straight Clays in .45)

Does anyone know if this powder would be useful for .45, .40 or 9mm?

Thanks.

+1 for the straight Clays.

As for the Universal... get your money back. I don't have the data handy, but I tried it once when it was recommended to me by the guy at the gunshop. It was terrible with a standard deviation that was all over the map. :wacko: Sorry

I use Universal for 9mm and .40, as well as .38 Super minor loads. It shoots clean, and the std dev has only been a problem with me on light loads. It is a little bit stout for making Major in .40- loud and snappy. I love it for 9mm loads, but I like my 9mm loads around 140pf (yeah- I'm a nut). It works good in applications where you want the high end of the velocity spectrum, for whatever reason.

About 5.0grs makes major for me with a 180gr MasterBlaster bullet.

Seems a bit "blasty" as compared to N320 due to the % nitro content.

Tom...how would you compare the "smoke factor" between Universal and N320 using the same MasterBlaster bullet?

Well, I ordered it from PV about a month or 2 ago. I guess I must have clicked the wrong thing because this is what they said I ordered. They do not take back powder once delivered so I'm kinda stuck with all 8 pounds of it. The guy at PV told me that Hodgons said they would be very low on powder for the rest of the year. I guess I'll keep this stuff for back up or something.

Anyone use this for .45? I've got LOTS of large pistol primers so I think I may start shooting single stack for a while :)

Well, I ordered it from PV about a month or 2 ago. I guess I must have clicked the wrong thing because this is what they said I ordered. They do not take back powder once delivered so I'm kinda stuck with all 8 pounds of it. The guy at PV told me that Hodgons said they would be very low on powder for the rest of the year. I guess I'll keep this stuff for back up or something.

Anyone use this for .45? I've got LOTS of large pistol primers so I think I may start shooting single stack for a while :)

.45 is where I've done most of my testing with it and didn't care too much for it, but it was with 230 grainers. Since it sounds like it's working well with 9mm (which I never tried it on), maybe try it with some 185grainers at a higher velocity level???

:cheers: Now, for that advice I'll gladly relieve you of some large pistol primers since you're obviously overburdened by them all!!! :cheers:

I tried it for pin loads in a .40. At least in the .40 case this is a bad powder. I was getting deviations of 80-100 fps. I burned the rest of it up in 44 magnum and .357 blasting ammo.