Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forgetting which game I'm playing

HighVelocity

Two IDPA matches in a row I've gotten procedural penalties for shooting targets out of order. I NEVER used to do that. :angry:

Bright side I guess is they were fast penalties. :wacko:

I got to the point where my pea sized brain couldn't keep track of which was which, so I just stuck with one. :)

Two IDPA matches in a row I've gotten procedural penalties for shooting targets out of order. I NEVER used to do that. :angry:

In either game you should have a plan that you've mentally rehearsed before you get to the line. Doing that, I've never had a problem with shooting them out of order. .. Now it may not be an order that I would have chosen based on what's fastest for me, but regardless the plan should be there before you walk to the line.

-rvb

I had that problem in IDPA for a long time. I just decided that IDPA stages are all just "memory stages", and treat them as such during my walkthrough. Instead of "buzzer- move to the left port...pocka, pocka, ping... move to the right side of the wall... pocka, pocka..." I just think "buzzer- left- pop, center- pop, right- pocka, center- pop, left- pop... move".

I live in a really big USPSA dead zone, so I occasionally shoot the local IDPA club matches during the week. I used to try not to get penalties and still get them so now I dont bother. I just shoot the stage and tend to rack up the penalties. Usually cover and the tac reloads I dont do. I do try to follow the target order and general procedure.

Thanks for the pointers. My pre-stage programming definitely needs work. I'll be working on that at today's carbine match.

Just shoot faster and hope nobody notices! :ph34r:

The voice of experience right here, ladies and gentlemen. :roflol:

The biggest problem to me is not shooting out of order as I do a pretty good mental rehearsal, but it is dropping mags after standing in one spot for a couple of targets. Shooting L10 only..... it is ingrained to reload when I go to take off. But I guess that goes back to mental rehearsal too. PLAN EVERYTHING.

AL

Yes my biggest issue with IDPA is wanting to reload when I move, regardles of rounds left in mag, My biggest problem after shooting IDPA and shooting USPA is slicing the pie on baracades instead of leaning far enough (if possible) to see all targets and shooting them with out moving my torso.

Even worse is running shooters.....In IDPA when the shooter finishes a position I start running to the next spot....only to find I've left the shooter behind reloading. :unsure:

Edited by p7fl

Even worse is running shooters.....In IDPA when the shooter finishes a position I start running to the next spot....only to find I've left the shooter behind reloading. :unsure:

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

It all comes down to the fact that you actually have to think while shooting in either sport. They are both shooting disciplines (they are called that for a reason), with slightly different ideology.

But both allow you to see all target aquisitions before shooting them, so if you can't keep your brain focused and remember which sport you are shooting, should you be allowed to run around with a loaded firearm???

Shoot both types of matches in a weekend (loads of fun), any shooting is good shooting/practice.

I still do not understand why shooters from either sport have issues with how the other is shot?

Don't complain about either set of rules, just understand them and put them into practice while shooting as fast as you can!

IDPA = Shoot the C.O.F exactly as the stage discriptions states as fast as you can, within the rules & without improvisation!

USPSA = Shoot the C.O.F as fast as you can, within the rules, freestyle (Any way you like)

There was the time I shot an ICORE stage like USPSA... you know, B's and C's add a LOT of time to that really blazing time you just shot... I think I shot the stage in record time only to have about a dozen various time penalties added.. which doubled my total time..