Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use a Seattle Slug

Graham Smith

As part of my eternal quest to ask as many annoying questions as I can... One of the things I got a look at recently was a G22 with a Seattle Slug. The fellow who had it said that there have been some changes to newer Glocks that keep these from fitting well and that he had to spend a couple hours carefully grinding down bits on the slug to get it to fit. Once he had done that, he found it went in and came out quite easily.

I was thinking of trying to find a used one as I'm reluctant to spend $40+ on something I may or may not like or may ruin in the process of trying to fit. Has anyone tried one of these in the newer G34/G35 G17/G22?

How new is one of the "newer" G35s ??

I have a slug in my G35 that is a couple of years old. No modifications were necessary in the installation of the slug in my particular gun.

How new is one of the "newer" G35s ??

Mine is less than a year old and I was told that they "recently" made some changes internal to the back channel that keep some plugs from fitting without modification. How recently this is, I don't know.

The later generation of Glocks is set-up for a locking mechanism and the space the "Seattle Slug" occupies has two ribs running lengthwise.

The later generation Seattle Slugs are designed to accommodate for this change.

Patrick

I cannot tell much difference on recoil control after I begin shooting a stage, however, for me the gun balances better back into my hand and I believe has made a difference for me with sighting - I didn't really like the slug after I installed it as the radius edge on the bottom hit my hand pretty hard when I was seating mags. I have since moved up to a Dawson heavy magwell that utilizes the same principal as the seattle slug with the added benefit of the magwell - it really balances my G24 well for me and adds some weight which should make some difference in felt recoil, but everyone is their own personal judge on felt recoil.

Never tried the Slug, but if you're playing a game where the Slug is legal, then the Dawson heavy magwell would be also. I really liked how it sat, balanced the gun (on a G19!) and indexed my hand. I know it's more expensive than the Slug, but depending on your application, it has a lot of benefits.

~Mitch

Never tried the Slug, but if you're playing a game where the Slug is legal, then the Dawson heavy magwell would be also. I really liked how it sat, balanced the gun (on a G19!) and indexed my hand. I know it's more expensive than the Slug, but depending on your application, it has a lot of benefits.

I've handled a G22 with a Dawson and it tends to interfere with my grip a little bit. It may turn out that my grip needs to change in which case a magwell would be a better choice. Also, the Dawson heavy is about 3x more.

Just trying to look at options since I'm still shooting Production and am in no rush to switch to Limited.

I've also been looking to see if anyone makes a smaller magwell but it's darn near impossible to tell if the JP or the T.H.E. is bigger or smaller or the same size as the Dawson. Nobody has dimensions. But I don't want to start to drift my own thread!

I've also been looking to see if anyone makes a smaller magwell but it's darn near impossible to tell if the JP or the T.H.E. is bigger or smaller or the same size as the Dawson. Nobody has dimensions. But I don't want to start to drift my own thread!

From what I've seen, the Dawson ICE is one of the smallest magwells for a Glock that still blends nicely to the grip. Also, they really aren't that big on a full size frame, at least when you compare it to one like the SJC, that thing is huge. I own a Dawson.

Thanks to everyone. I decided to go directly to the source on this and sent an email. Here is the reply I got from Robin Taylor.

We're hand-fitting them to a newer-model "tab" frame. Unless you have an RTF gun, it should push right in. Only minor fitting at most.

Thanks to everyone. I decided to go directly to the source on this and sent an email. Here is the reply I got from Robin Taylor.
We're hand-fitting them to a newer-model "tab" frame. Unless you have an RTF gun, it should push right in. Only minor fitting at most.

Thanks for the update!