Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nra Action Pistol On The West Coast

uscbigdawg

Hi folks,

I am curious about something. For the folks in the midwest and East, do you have any theories as to why NRA Action Pistol hasn't caught on out here on the West coast? I shot a round of action pistol, when I lived in KC with my IPSC Open gun and without wings and using my C-more, I shot a 1720 cleaning the plates (I really, really, really wish I had a shroud......wings are good!!!).

I enjoyed it and would like to do more but have not seen any venues out here. Now I could just be looking in the wrong places (I'm in northern California), but I honestly have never seen or heard anything.

Gun rules aside, any thoughts on why?

Thanks,

Rich

Rhino...pretty funny, but that's really that nice is it? ;-)

Mickey Fowler does live out here you know. :D

underlug - Sun's gotta shine on dog's ass once in a while (even one running, Rhino :D). I chalk it up to a good day. The major power factor loads didn't hurt either on the mover. No lead!

There's an idea. The Calli mover. Get on a horse moving ten feet a second and shoot at a fixed target. But you'd have to run really fast to get on the horse. Sorry Rhino.

Scratch that, sounds like cowboy action stuff and they already do that in LA from cars.

Seriously, there is a match in Wyoming (!!!) and Vera Koo, Mickey, John Pride etc live in CA. Why aren't there any?

SRT :

Many Bianchi shooters practice on private ranges (not gun clubs). There will never be any matches open to others to generate new interest in the sport. It's great for those shooters but does nothing for the discipline. Of course, that is also one reason NRA AP is dead in most areas, and why Bianchi is struggling as a match.

Trader,

Agreed. But Action Pistolero brought up a good point. While the 'Cup is the "big four" (Barricade, Plates, Practical, and Mover), matches like Los Alamitos, the Flying M are matches that can be shot at any club.

Many GSSF shooters have already shot a form of Action Pistol. Each of their matches was a variation of an AP COF. The Plates, the "GLock M", 5-7-9 and the Mover were the four in the beginning. (I guess GSSF has changed things, including scoring, since I shot one.)

The new stock class rule changes might draw more competitors. AP is all about improving your shooting skill, doing better and having fun, not about beating Doug or Bruce. (unless, your are Doug or Bruce :D )

SRT,

GSSF matches are very well attended because Glock promotes them. 10-15 years ago when there were a fair number of clubs shooting AP, the NRA did not cultivate anything with them.

I do agree that AP is about improving ones skills, but todays clubs want clusters of targets at close range shot with a mathematicly flawed scoring system. It keeps the newbies coming back for more if nothing else.