Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local match safety poll

DonT

We have a couple of shooters who do the same thing almost every time they shoot. I decided to try a different tact. Last night when one of the shooters came to the line I stepped in close before LMR and said, "Make sure your finger is off the trigger when you clear a jam or move." He nodded and what do you know, it was the first time I didn't have to make any safety comments to him for some time. I will continue this new approach with shooters I know to have issues. Also, I think it's good to cover any stage safety issues when you know you have a new shooter. "be careful going through that door, get the gun up and keep the other hand low" or "What the muzzle when you reload going left there, because if you don't you will break the 180*.

A word whispered is better than one shouted. ;)

JT

Edited by JThompson

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a couple of shooters who do the same thing almost every time they shoot. I decided to try a different tact. Last night when one of the shooters came to the line I stepped in close before LMR and said, "Make sure your finger is off the trigger when you clear a jam or move." He nodded and what do you know, it was the first time I didn't have to make any safety comments to him for some time. I will continue this new approach with shooters I know to have issues. Also, I think it's good to cover any stage safety issues when you know you have a new shooter. "be careful going through that door, get the gun up and keep the other hand low" or "What the muzzle when you reload going left there, because if you don't you will break the 180*.

A word whispered is better than one shouted. ;)

JT

I guess you could call that "Pro-Active RO'ing" :roflol:

Good job :cheers: ,

I voted the 180 break as the most common mistake I see. A lot of those are right to left reloads for RH shooters and a lot have to do with course design, tight 180 shots/movement that require extreme caution.

• 1 month later...

The three ranges that I shoot at are quite safe. We have 30ish regular guys that come out and shoot every match with the few new shooters or people who come out when they can. Safety has not been a big issue. 180 seems to be the biggest, that also has to do with stage construction. In Local matches this summer we have had less than 10 DQ's. My one and only match DQ was a 180 during my second match, learned my lesson real well!

Edited by L-10_shooter

For our area it has to be the 180 degree violation, the stages that are presented are safe, but present challenges in their own right depending on one's own skill level and I have seen PLENTY of newbies who thought they could run like the big dogs and getthemselves in trouble, if you are new tothe sport, ADMIT IT, noone will chastize you for it, matter of fact, you may very well end up with more help than you thought, as I am am want to say' the only dumb question is the one you didnt ask me' ....slow down, ease into the sport, soak up all the experiences like a sponge and have fun doing it, i know I have these past 20+ yrs now....