Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does A New Extractor Have To Be Fitted?

bkeeler

I know how tune an extractor for a 1911 but does a new extractor have to be fitted?

What extractor is prefered by most?

Wilson BP?

Ed Brown Hard Core?

I want to get a new extractor for a back up.

thanks

bkeeler

VERY HIGH PROBABILITY a new extractor needs fitting. certainly should be tuned to your gun.-AFTEC EXTRACTORS -are very popular with the uspsa crowd. i have used several am am comfortable with the reliability of all ,they also seem to eject more consistently than fixed extractors.DVC B)

I wouldn't understand having a spare that wasn't fitted. Might as well spend the money on a lucky rabbit's foot. :D

I am pretty sure that many here will recommend the Aftec.

As for a standard extractor...I understand that Cylinder & Slide uses actual spring steel, where others may not?

I haven't heard of any of the big name smith/parts guys putting out anything bad. I do recall that Caspian had some get out that had a bad heat treat. They promptly sent out replacements...that would put them at the top of my list for customer support.

Some new extractors I've seen had a straight cut groove in the tip with no radiusing at the bottom. They won't work at all without some "fitting" (filing). Most new guns come with too little extractor tension which I suspect is due to the fact that the extractors "set in" and lose some tension after the initial bend. Some new extractors MUST be tensioned twice to get it right after the steel sets from the first bend, some don't. Best to set the tension, shoot 100 rounds and check it again.

FWIW: I have read that many times the Wilson Bulletproof extractors drop in and work. YMMV. They may need to be tensioned for your particular gun.

Yes. (Doesnt' everything need to be fitted on a 1911/2011?!? :( ) I've had to fit them at the firing pin stop. I like Ed Browns... only broke one by trying to extract a chambered fat round.

Oh yeah, I think it's important that it be fitted tight because you don't want it rotating.