Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

first timer, a few points and some q's

ChrisC

well i finally had the nerve to take the new 4 inch 610 out for a spin last saturday. I was impressed with the gun, not so impressed with me... of course i had just got the north mountain moon clip holder in just days before and hadn't practiced reloading or drawing or any of those meaningless things... but i had fun with it..

round 40's

i noticed that billy bullets has a 180 grain round nosed .40 sw that im going to try out, that is the only place that i have found them so far.

cylinder release latch

I also ordered a california competition latch release at the recommendation of bubber, i looked hard at that one and the hogue but i think the way I hold the gun the CCW will fit me better... if not there is always the classifieds...

MIM trigger? while crisp, what is the best way to lighten the load a smidge?

bobbing the hammer.

is this a do it myself project or do i need to have someone do it?

also I wouldn't mind a chamfering the charge holes a bit...

i would like to clarify these q's a bit but i gotta run...

Chris

Edited by ChrisC

MIM trigger? while crisp, what is the best way to lighten the load a smidge?

Remove a coil or so from the Rebound slide spring. If you take to much tension off you can re balance by removing tension from the mainspring. Many problems can be avoided by not using the strain screw as a adjustment device. Screws tend to move if there not under tension or bottomed out. You can bend the mainspring or remove a bit of the strain screw length to adjust the tension. A slack screw will tend to loosen over time.

A little bit of stoning on the trigger and cylinder stop engagement surface tends to help trigger return issues. If your really serious you can bevel the ratchet to let the hand return easier. This can cost real money if you screw it up.

You need to be careful of misfires due to lack of hammer smack on the primer and you may have trigger return problems, if the trigger return spring is not balanced with the mainspring. If you use this revolver for social work test fire with you carry ammo.

bobbing the hammer.

Do this first if you interested in doing the above.

also I wouldn't find a chamfering the charge holes a bit...

This is easy to do with a drill press and the right size and shape of stone or use a hand tool such as a Dremel and hold the cylinder firmly in a vice for control. Finish off the work with some 320 grit paper on a mandrel to polish the tool marks out.

i would like to clarify these q's a bit but i gotta run...

Running will help your times more then lots of trigger mods. I run slow and my times show it.

Chris

me and a drill press.... i can see me really screwing that up......

me "running" was the wife telling me to get in there to watch the movie.... BTW Taken was pretty good... lots of killing... for a good reason

"first timer, a few points and some q's"

take it easy, your not out to show off, just keep it safe and maybe some videos would help out before you do it, take it slow, watch where your aiming, just don't let her know it's your first time......... :devil:

OHHHH you mean shooting revolver first time, not..... :surprise: ...........

Sorry about that, yeah well follow most of the suggestions above :roflol:

Edited by Spray_N_Prey

yeah sadly im having a hard time finding federal primers, i have a few thousand of them... i have a lot of back order in several places... hopefully the dam will break and we can get them again....

• 2 weeks later...

My prediction: you're really going to like it. I sent two to Mike, and he delivered exactly as promised. The unintended upside? Your fellow shooters get to point out that something must have broken :P or fallen off your gun, because now they can see inside of it.

WOW.... that's all I can say about the trigger....

quality work... ill post some pictures later... man that is sweet....

i did try to install my calif. comp works cylinder release.. seems like it didn't want to work as good as the factory piece...

any trick to this? or do they need to be fitted?

WOW.... that's all I can say about the trigger....

quality work... ill post some pictures later... man that is sweet....

i did try to install my calif. comp works cylinder release.. seems like it didn't want to work as good as the factory piece...

any trick to this? or do they need to be fitted?

Chris, You need to check the edges on the part that fits into the revo. Will you be at Ada tomorow? I can show you then. I got your number I'll try a call. later rdd

Chris, take another look at the fired case I included in the little baggie with your old sights. That's how they need to look, seated below flush to the point they are starting to flatten out. I shot 10 moonclips of my ammo (with well-seated Federal primers, of course) through your heater and got 100% perfect ignition.

Using only properly-primed ammo is extremely important when shooting any revolver with a full competition action job in which the mainspring tension has been reduced substantially. If part of the energy from the hammer fall has to be used to final seat the primer, the gun will not go bang reliably--all the energy needs to go into indenting the cup and lighting off the round.

You'll get it.

I do strongly recommend hand-seating the primers, though. It's an extra step, but it's well worth the time.

i had a long talk with bubber this afternoon... everything points back to me not taking the time to really deep seat the primers... i just loaded a few more that look just like the one you provided. i can tell not all brass is created equal. these are all "deep" so i am confident that they will all create a cloud of smoke....

the gun is great.. such a smooth trigger... still having issues with the extended release latch.. it doesn't seem to seat as far down as the factory piece... bubber is going to help me fit it as soon as we can connect..

ill look into a hand primer next month... the old lady took the check book away from me till next payday....