Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon SDB questions

Just picked up a used SDB. The manual for the SDB stated april 1994. Look by the pictures this is older design. My spent primer box is sitting straight and not at an angle like the new press.

Im going to use this for reloading 9mm right now its set up for .41 magnum, Mr. Enos sells all the needed stuff so conversion kit should be easy enough.

I just polished the bowl to a mirror finish in the powder dispenser. The powder chargre bar looks worn. There is a black slick finish on it, but there are scrapes on it all the way down to the white aluminum in some places and when I run my finer over the charge bar I can feel irregularities. Should I replace the charge bar?

Locator buttons? They are small brass "screws" withot threads? it looks like I only have one and there is a number 1 stamped on top of it. What exactly do these locator buttons do? Doesnt look like they are secured by anything?

The primer tube housing, there are threads on top of it what screws on there? I have 2 aluminum peices that look like they are supposed to go on top of the primer tube they look identical except one has a large primer hole the other one has a small primer. Both the primer tube housing and these aluminum peices have identical threads on the outside.

Anything I need to upgrade it? its 1994. Thats pretty old I moved to US in 1995.

Thanks

Charge bar: The only surface of the charge bar that can't have defects is the top part that slides against the powder. The other surfaces can have imperfections, as long as they don't hang up on the housing. In fact, I think you should have two charge bars, one for small charges and one for large.

Locator Buttons: You need three. Yes they look like brass screws without threads. They hold the brass in the shell plate at each corner (except the corner where the brass goes in/out). They are numbered because they come in different head sizes. Use all the same numbers at the same time, they are NOT numbered to indicate the position, only to indicate size.

Primer Tube: If I remember correctly, there is an inner tube and outer tube. When you change primer size, you change the inner tube. The inner tube goes in (with the plastic tip on it), then the knurled cap screws onto the outer tube, capturing the inner tube and keeping it in place. I'm not sure if the 'aluminum piece' you talk about is the screw on cap, but probably.

Don't hesitate to call Dillon. They are super helpful. Also, if you look in the manual or online you can find pictures and a detailed parts drawing of the press. That should help you with setup.

Some videos:

Edited by Jeff686

Look here, page 3. Which part?

http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/english/...al-May-2007.pdf

The older square deal B is almost identical. The major difference is the powder measure. The only layout used a long spring wrapped around the powder bar to return it to pickup the next charge. The new system uses a rod activated safety interlock to prevent double charges.

Edited by Jeff686

Try it out, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. My SD was bought in '94, I have been shooting IPSC since then with untold thousands of rounds loaded. I had a problem with the plastic part on the primer feed about every 20,000 rounds, (don't remember now which one), The last time they they sent me a whole new primer assembly. If you have trouble with anything, call them and they will send you what you need free.

13957 primer shield cap doesnt attach to 20900 primer housing and shield.

Strange! I've had two SDB, one old and one new. Both had the same cap, and it had threads on the inside, not the outside. Maybe that's a part from another press or somewhere else. Do you have a low primer warning buzzer? The cap fits inside the plastic bracket. Maybe the correct cap is hiding in there...

Call Dillon or post pictures here. I'm at a loss...

13957 primer shield cap doesnt attach to 20900 primer housing and shield.

Strange! I've had two SDB, one old and one new. Both had the same cap, and it had threads on the inside, not the outside. Maybe that's a part from another press or somewhere else. Do you have a low primer warning buzzer? The cap fits inside the plastic bracket. Maybe the correct cap is hiding in there...

Call Dillon or post pictures here. I'm at a loss...

The knurled cap fits right inside the plastic buzzer thing. Its just both the tube and the cap have outside threads. I probably got wrong parts from the guy.

I'd still send it to Dillon. For either $29 or $39 (can't recall which) they totally refurbish it and send it back all ready to go....shipping is included. It's worth it as a number of parts have been upgraded. R,

I emailed the guy that I bought it from to ask him about the primer sheild cap. I called dillon and asked about scratches on the powder bar, the said its ok as long as it meters well.

Polished the powder dispenser housing to a mirror finish. Was going to mount it today but hit a snag... Damn retired people!

Was headed out to buy a wooden table from harbor freight, grandpa asked me what for I told him. He is retired unfortunatley at his age he is always right and its hopless to argue. He said he will make me one.

Downside I wont be able to set it up for a month the upside I am going to get a custom reloading bench with wood carving and well finished and stained bench/cabinet for reloading.

Thanks for all the help guys I will get my camera and take pictures as soon as I can.

send it to dillon and ask for a refurbish on it.

+1

If you got a great deal on it...spend another $40 ish.. and get a "factory new" press back.. no issues.

two thumbs up for this one, mine come back looking as good as new, since you have to wait a month for grandpa, send it in, it will be back way before the bench is :cheers:

I’ll be another one to say send it in, me and my brother split one back when I was 13 or 14, I think they cost $130/$140 back then. He was the case feeder and I the bullet feeder and we loaded untold 1000’s on that dude. A few years ago I wanted a press to work up some loads at the range, sent it in and Dillon fixed it up as good as new.

I emailed the guy that I bought it from to ask him about the primer sheild cap. I called dillon and asked about scratches on the powder bar, the said its ok as long as it meters well.

Polished the powder dispenser housing to a mirror finish. Was going to mount it today but hit a snag... Damn retired people!

Was headed out to buy a wooden table from harbor freight, grandpa asked me what for I told him. He is retired unfortunatley at his age he is always right and its hopless to argue. He said he will make me one.

Downside I wont be able to set it up for a month the upside I am going to get a custom reloading bench with wood carving and well finished and stained bench/cabinet for reloading.

Thanks for all the help guys I will get my camera and take pictures as soon as I can.

These are the best benches! :D The month spent building the bench will undoubtably give you untold years of memorable reloading! I built my reloading bench about 12 years ago using the RCBS plans that were supplied in plastic wrapped American Hangunner magazine... I love this bench!

I too would send the press to Dillon for a refurb. You'll have a winning combo!

FWIW - I have purchased two used SDBs, one is an older model and one is a newer model. I was lucky, both came from shooters and were in good working order. However, I have needed a few parts and Dillon was awesome when I needed some help. If the press did not come from someone that was using it, I would send it back to Dillon and have them refurbish it. If not, you may find out that you need to tweak this or replace that for months before you have a operational press. Send it to them and you will have the whole thing done in one shot.