Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some Photo's from the Pueblo, CO match

BritinUSA

I was just shooting the world class steel pro-am this weekend, and got some really good shots and learned how to fix some things that were buggin me that I see in your pictures. The biggest one was that unless I'm getting some nice bokeh out of the deal to make the subject pop, I really want at least the shooter and gun in tack sharp focus. To get this with a remote camera and luck of the click, your odds are increased greatly by shooting at f11, f9.5 seems to work within reason. However, keeping iso to 400 or less, it is hard to keep the shutter above 250 for a lot of shots. Bumping it to 800 as the ceiling, I could get 350 or so fairly often.

neither of which gives you tack sharp brass and smoke. For that, I pretty much had to get it up to 750 or better.

From your EXIF info, you have your iso at 100, which is robbing you of depth of field or shutter speed for no real improved image quality over 400 or better. Heck, the e-520 has decently controlled noise up to about 800 in decent light, and with the really short shutter speeds and all the light you get on a shooting range, the ammount of sensor noise that is going to get amplified is fairly minimal. Previous outings, I had been keeping iso clamped between 100 and 200 and the difference in the number of keepers was hugeby clamping between 100 and 800.

I also got a couple neat shots with a 10-17 fisheye. With the fisheye, infinity focus is like 2ft, so it is pretty easy to avoid focus screwups. :)

Also, shooting in RAW helps, as I could trade some underexposure for shutter speed or f stop and know I can restore proper exposure in post.

I'll post some pics up when I get some processed. 2 days of shooting left me with about 1600 pics to go through. After culling the definite loser pictures on site. :surprise:

If you have the light (and there is plenty of that in Pwaylo), try some shots at ISO 1600 and really crank up the shutter speed.

If you're not getting paid for pics just yet, you might as well experiment.

If you have the light (and there is plenty of that in Pwaylo), try some shots at ISO 1600 and really crank up the shutter speed.

I'm going to try some experiments this weekend (work permitting) looks like good weather for this weekend.

cool stuff..nice work Paul

I like the one of JJ

Thanks, the one of JJ was one of the best ones. I tried the full-auto technique on a couple of stages. If I keep the remote pressed for 2-3 seconds then it just keeps taking shots (about 3-5 per second) until I press it again. Got some great reload shots that way...

post-293-1242340396_thumb.jpg