Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Once Upon A Time In Mexico

I can't believe that I havent seen any discussion on "Once upon a time in Mexico"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even more fantasy type shoot'em up then "Desperado"...

As far as beginning to end action this on has got it.......

And yea I know that it is all very unreal...but it is supposed to be based on the comic "El marriachi" (sp?)

I saw it a couple of weeks ago when I arrived at the theater too late for "Open Range."

I liked "Desperado," and expected more of the same . . . no disappointment there. It also had more story elements that I did not expect, especially the whole Johnny Depp character.

The other two mariachis were the weak point. If their characters weren't going to be developed, I think they should have been "silent" as their counterparts were in "Desperado."

I agree about the other two....The one starts out as a drunk...and they kinda leave it like you are supposed to know why he is like that......

Johnny Depp was suprising....I dont really like him as an actor...However this character was a bit diff. then his usual lame roles...

It couldve had some more Salma Hayek scenes though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yea I know that it is all very unreal...but it is supposed to be based on the comic "El marriachi" (sp?)

Not a comic, go to the video store and rent the movie. Desparado was a remake of the Mexican made "El Marriachi" and by far better than either of the Hollywood versions.

Actually the movie that you are talking about "El Marriachi" was written and directed by Robert Rodriguez in 1992 (for the huge cost of $7000.00) who also wrote and directed "Desperado" and "Once upon a time in Mexico" as well as "Dusk to Dawn".

Apparently he wrote this movie and the rest of the series based on a comic strip that he wrote in college.

Not only that...He didnt want to borrow the 7k... He had 4k from some film festival stuff...

He signed up as a human lab rat in a study. He went to a

medical research company called Pharmaco and signed up for a month long study of some kind of cholesterol supplement. The deal was that he would have to live at

the research hospital for a month, eat only what they gave him. And get his cholesterol levels tested many times.

Thats dedication!!!!

Saw it tonight... wish I hadn't. The premise blew monkey balls.

I guess I wasn't expecting it to be as farcical as it was because it was part of a trilogy in which the preceeding two movies were not totally out there (out there, no doubt, but not completely, like this one).

It didn't do it for me. I would have rather spent my $7 as a down payment on u-call-it shots.

• 2 weeks later...

If any attempt at "the plot" was elimated along with about 30 minutes of the movie, and the comic book-style action continued throughout the movie from the first scene, it would have been a massive improvement.

be