Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner division for SIG P226 40?

I have a friend who wants to play in USPSA! He has a Sig P226 in 40, he shoots well, but no reloading gear yet, and I don't have 40 dies...

Shoot production with factory WWB 40 ammo, or jump to limited?

Mag extensions for a sig P226???? Do they exist, do bump him up to 140mm???

Jeff

Edited by JeffWard

Just about any ammo you buy at the store will easily make major (WWB is about 180 PF, I think). So either. If he doesn't have mag extensions, he shoots at a disadvantage in Ltd., and if he shoots factory ammo, theres a little disadvantage in production. If he shoots against himself, he wins either way.

DD

If I was in your friend's shoes I would purchase a set .40S&W dies for my buddy and ask him to teach me how to reload using his equipment (or better yet have my buddy reload for me). If not, I would shoot the P226 in L-10.

I'll weigh in...

Just have him shoot Production with factory ammo for now.

Maybe the bigger hole will help punch those perfs...

FWIW - www.topgunsupply.com has a great selection of mags with/without extentions for sigs. Fast delivery...OK I live in the same state but still...

He could call around and look for remanufactured ammo from a reliable source that wouldn't be so hot. The way ammo is now it might be quicker/easier to get than the store anyway.

Here is one:

http://www.atlantaarmsandammo.com/products.html

I started out shooting production, so maybe I am biased but I'd think it'd be better to start at production than limited. At least he'd be shooting against similar pistols.

Down the road he buys toolhead, powder drop die setup...

IIRC..Roger Sherman who shoots for SIG has a mag extension that he sells..

Contact info???

found it.

Roger can be reached at this email

prairiedawgshooter@msn.com

• 2 weeks later...
He could call around and look for remanufactured ammo from a reliable source that wouldn't be so hot. The way ammo is now it might be quicker/easier to get than the store anyway.

Here is one:

http://www.atlantaarmsandammo.com/products.html

I started out shooting production, so maybe I am biased but I'd think it'd be better to start at production than limited. At least he'd be shooting against similar pistols.

Down the road he buys toolhead, powder drop die setup...

+1. It would be better if he started in Production with .40 ammo downloaded to make the minimum Minor 125 power factor, so he could be competitive against similar pistols and gear. Production is a good place to start shooting in USPSA. If he plans to regularly shoot USPSA matches a reloading press is a small investment that would pay for itself real quick, even quicker if he can score a good second hand one.

Some might argue that production isn't "Beginner" division! There's some good shooters in it (I'm not one of them).

I'd rather shoot major .40 in production than shoot a 226 in limited. He'll also have obtained the right gear when he does get his hands on some minor ammo. Good luck to him!

There is no "beginner" division.

A beginner shoots any division and will end up in U, D, or possibly C class.

Just go and play.

As Brian advises in his book, get to the shooting.

If not, I would shoot the P226 in L-10.

+1

If you're gonna shoot off the shelf ammo, better to do it in L10 where you'll get the benefit of major PF scoring. I'm not sure it greatly matters in the beginning, if your friend likes the game they'll buy guns/gear that's better suited to the division he/she likes.