Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smashing precious primers!

S&W627shooter

I'v had some minor problems with WCC and S&B brass (1 in 100). But th biggest issue I've had is with CCI primers. I've contacted their support site, and I'm less then pleased, "can't be our issue even if the primers are out of spec". All my future primers wil not be CCI.

I agree with others, better to chuck a few primers and brass then have one go boom.

Was any of it WCC brass? lol Similar thing happened to me..

:ph34r: I have no idea who's shooting all that WCC 9mm brass around here, but I bet they at one time had access to a lot of military training 9mm brass, and has zero issues loading it in his RCBS Pro 2000 :ph34r:

Edited to add: Mil headstamp, S&B, GFL, gets tossed into the recycle bucket.

Edited by SA Friday

this is exactly why I do not mix headstamps. It's hard to tell if it's a tight pocket or you are crushing the primer. But the Super Swager should resolve most of the problems...and I have the RCBS swager too but don't sue it since I got the Dillion. It's slower....

• 4 weeks later...
When I reload 9mm using mixed headstamp range brass in my XL650, I have a problem with crushing primers in the pockets of some of the brass. Do some 9mm brass have crimped primer pockets? If so, is there a good way to make all the primer pockets uniform before I lose any more precious sm pistol primers?

Hi S&W627shooter,

I think you must be getting your brass from the same source I am. There are a number of different head stamps that are crimped brass.

S&B, WWC, and yes some WIN brass as well. I have to hand sort my brass before loading and still get some crimped brass. I leave the WIN brass in because most of it is ok. Ya I would love to have a 1050. That would solve the problem.

Good luck,

Jim

OK, so I looked on Dillon's and Midway's sites, and I found these two options:

Dillon's Super Swage 600 for $95 or the RCBS Pocket Primer Swager Combo Die for $27 (which I would put in my single stage press).

Does anyone have experience with either of these? Would either of these work well with 9mm?

I use the RCBS swager for the nasty WCC headstamped cases. It basically quadruples my reloading time because i have to decap the case in a single stage press and then swage it ... almost negating the benefits of using a progressive press, right? It's faster and MUCH easier to sort your brass and remove the WCC or whatever stamp is causing the problem. Then trade it for brass with a good head stamp. I dont believe the Dillon swager will be that much better. We're only talking about 9mm!

I've noticed a *bunch* of brass colored brass, that you'd swear was really brass, when if you take a magnet to it, it's actually steel.

More info please: manufacturer? Headstamp?

Thanks,

ac

I bet it is S&B. I have found many pieces that are brass plated steel.

I bet it is S&B. I have found many pieces that are brass plated steel.

Almost guaranteed. S&B actually markets the brass and steel separately but unfortunately, a lot of vendors do not specify. I've noticed in the Natchezs catalogs that they are one of the few that offers both versions and prices accordingly. And you're right, without a magnet, almost impossible to detect visually...however, the priming station seems to have no trouble at all spotting the fake brass.

All the ones I have had problems with lately are the brass plated steel from S&B.

I sorted out 9mm S&B from some of my brass and checked. Some of the S&B was magnetic. The headstamp wasn't helpful - that specific headstamp was on both magnetic cases and non-magnetic cases.

Suspect headstamps:

S&B 9x19 08

S&B 9x19 09

ac