Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just beginning with a couple questions in AZ

belus

'lo everyone.

Last month I attended the Arizona Game and Fish Dept's Outdoor Expo and met some very nice shooters of the Cactus league. Since then I've been reading through this form and other online guides but a couple questions remain.

I plan to shoot a CZ 75 in production for couple reasons: 1) I already own it and it's cheep to feed, 2) it points well for me, and 3) it won't be uncompetitive in it's division (unlike a 9mm Hi-power in limited). I haven't run out and bought a bunch of accessories, but the pistol is currently at Angus' shop getting the competition sight package. The older CZ-75s had a penny-sliver nub of a front sight which is difficult to find.

I have four magazines for this gun, which I think is sufficient, but I don't have any way to carry them. Does anyone have recommendations for production legal mag carriers? I'm planning to string everything on my carry belt which is sufficiently stiff.

Since I'm lucky enough to live in the "Shooting Capital of the Known Universe" (eastern Phoenix, AZ), I'm overwhelmed by the number of clubs and events available. The Cactus league at Ben Avery is a little far away, but Rio Salado is fairly convenient along with the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club.

A guy I work with shoots Tuesday Night Steel at Rio Salado, but only infrequently.

But there is also Rio Salado Practical Pistol and Red Mountain Action Pistol at the same range. I don't understand how these two differ.

Any advice on which group to check out first? Are any more accommodating towards beginners? I'm trying this sport out as summer arrives so I imagine the matches will be less crowded than those in February.

I haven't signed up as a member of USPSA yet, but I have requested their Invitation Packet. I'm planning to shoot a club match first, just to confirm it's something I'm willing wake up at 5am for every other weekend.

edited to clarify my friend's relation to Tuesday Night Steel

Edited by belus

Rio Salado Sportsman's Club in Mesa hosts four USPSA matches. Usery Pass, Rio, Red Mountain and Hosemasters. If you haven't I would recommend some "recon" first. We're shooting the Cactus match at Ben Avery tomorrow at 9 AM. Come out and soak it all in. Also, and this is important, Rio Salado has a free new shooter orientation at 6 PM Tuesdays. Best 45 minute intro to competition you can find IMO.

Jim

Since Angus has your gun ask him or Rob B. to hook you up with mag pouches and a belt. Also, I would reccomend getting at least 1 or 2 more magazines. And take JimmyM's advice and go shoot at Rio Salado. Easily one of the top clubs in the United States.

The HiPower shooting Limited minor is a drag. BTDT, but I will say that pistol sure shoots and points great. So does the 75. For holster and mags, I would go out and get a BladeTech holster and double or single mag holders by them too. These are not really pricey, durable, easy to adjust, and I can't say enough about them. Also, get a CR Speed belt or a Double Alpha belt. I would say that I am happy with my belt and pouches/holster investments from these people. I regret it not a bit.

Welcome to this sport. The people are great. You picked a great place to shoot. (Where oh wherer is that jealousy icon?)

JZ

ETA: You could get the holster and mags off of Angus' website and get them alot quicker if he has them in stock. Otherwise you will wait four to six weeks possibly from Bladetech. Just a thought.

Edited by JimmyZip

ETA: You could get the holster and mags off of Angus' website and get them alot quicker if he has them in stock. Otherwise you will wait four to six weeks possibly from Bladetech. Just a thought.

Not to make you more jealous, but it's a 2minute drive. I'll give them a call Monday and hope some are in stock when I go to pick up my pistol.

Getting a 30" or 32" belt may be the challenging bit.

I won't be able to make it to the Cactus Match tomorrow morning, but thanks for the heads up Jim. My work load will quiet down after this week so time and gear should become available at the same time. :)

Edited by belus

Belus, as an alumnus of both Rio and Cactus I can tell you that you are in for some fun. The Rio range has 4 USPSA clubs using the same facility. You can shoot a USPSA match there every weekend. The Tuesday Night Steel is awesome. 120-160 shooters through 4 stages in 5 hours, with results posted, amazing. Besides Angus, at Rio there is Rob and Matt B and occasionally Matt M., Don Golembeski and a few other top GMs. Just being there is an education into practical shooting.

I used to shoot Tuesday Night Steel at Rio, Thursday night Paper and Steel at Cactus, every weekend at Rio and once a month weekend at Cactus. It IS Heaven for the practical shooter.

Welcome to the Forum and Practical Shooting. Plenty of CZ shooters at Rio. Come on out and compare the rigs. Let me be the first to suggest Brian's book "Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals". Its not too soon to own a copy.

Larry P

• 3 weeks later...
Last month I attended the Arizona Game and Fish Dept's Outdoor Expo and met some very nice shooters of the Cactus league.

I was one of the Cactus league volunteers that weekend so, thanks for the complement and Welcome to the forum! Although my username is Glockman2000, I actually shoot an STI. Have you been been out to our Thursday night matches yet?

All good advice so far.

You definitely want more than four mags. Starting with 41 rounds total might make it hard to finish a stage that's 32 rounds assuming you reload a couple of times after only 8 shots (common). I'd say five on the belt and one in the gun would be a good start.

If you're using a 32" belt, you'll find that you run out of space for mag pouches pretty quickly. I recently bought some Ready Tactical puches ($22 each if I recall) from CPWSA (a sponsor here) and they're so compact you can get five of them in the space of three or four of almost anybody else's pouches. You can also heat them with a hair dryer and tweak them if you want them a little tighter or looser.

I used to shoot a Rio Salado almost every week (lived in Tucson) and now get there maybe once or twice a year...it's just an awesome setup with great shooters. R,

Over the weekend I stopped by the Rio Practical Pistol club to get an idea of how things were run. I as a few minutes late so I missed the walk-though, and I didn't notice a squad based organization: people seemed to move freely between stages after they had helped paste or pick up brass for a couple shooters.

I also picked up my gun and bought a rig on Tuesday - Double Alpha belt with Safariland DOH and mag pouches. I'll be carrying four mags on the belt until I notice it being a disadvantage. The people at Ghost Products were great with helping me select and fit the holster to the gun. We learned the pre-B CZ 75s have the slide stop approximately 3/16" higher on the frame and fit best in an SP-01 holster. However, it was too late in the day to make it to the Tuesday night safety course which I understand is required before shooting any of the practical pistol matches at Rio Salado. Hopefully I can make it out on the 26th.

Over the weekend I stopped by the Rio Practical Pistol club to get an idea of how things were run. I as a few minutes late so I missed the walk-though, and I didn't notice a squad based organization: people seemed to move freely between stages after they had helped paste or pick up brass for a couple shooters.

I also picked up my gun and bought a rig on Tuesday - Double Alpha belt with Safariland DOH and mag pouches. I'll be carrying four mags on the belt until I notice it being a disadvantage. The people at Ghost Products were great with helping me select and fit the holster to the gun. We learned the pre-B CZ 75s have the slide stop approximately 3/16" higher on the frame and fit best in an SP-01 holster. However, it was too late in the day to make it to the Tuesday night safety course which I understand is required before shooting any of the practical pistol matches at Rio Salado. Hopefully I can make it out on the 26th.

Yep, we don't do squadding at Rio. It's open squadding so after you shoot the stage just scoot to the next one you want to shoot. You can view the stage and the stage description is posted at the bleachers but we don't do a set stage briefing.

Enjoy the CZ. Angus knows what he's doing with the CZ and Zinn knows how to work on them and they're just down the road from you so you're set.

belus,

I spent the winter, Dec through March, in Fountain Hills and enjoyed the shooting scene in "The Valley".

At Rio Salado I shot the Tuesday night steel every week and then all the practical pistol matches (including the 22 PPC match) on the weekends except for the Bianchi style matches (I hate diving to the ground in order to shoot). At Rio that includes several in USPSA format plus ICORE and the 22 PPC match.

I also shot the Steel Challenge at Ben Avery and the ICORE, IDPA and weekly steel matches at Phoenix Rod & Gun (at south mountain).

I saw the triggger job Angus did on a CZ-75 and intend to bring my CZ-75 and CZ-40 to Angus this coming December. You willhave a realcompetitive gun when Angus finsihes wirking his magic.

I'm currently enjoying the shooting season here in SW MI and have to reload enough ammo for the current venues as well as for this coming winter.

Edited by TonyT

I went to the steel shoot last night and had a great time. Everyone was very friendly and a Chad from these forums recognized me by my rig :ph34r: .

I'll definitely be back in two weeks.

Tony - I grew up in Holland, just over an hour away from you.

I went to the steel shoot last night and had a great time. Everyone was very friendly and a Chad from these forums recognized me by my rig :ph34r: .

I'll definitely be back in two weeks.

Tony - I grew up in Holland, just over an hour away from you.

belus,

I am in the Kalamazoo area. Did I meet you skeet shooting at Ben Avery either February or March? I met an individual who said that he grew up in Holland.

Tony