Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm factory ammo for Production

Detlef

obviously, one of the attractions of Production Div. is that cheap factory ammo exists and reloading is not absolutely necessary.

Anyone with experience what is good, cheap, and where to get it from?

--Detlef

I'm not sure if it still available, but 3-D Ammunition sold remanufactured rounds for really cheap.  They claimed the brass was only 1-fired brass and made available several bullet weight/caliber combinations.  Tried several boxes (about 2000 rounds total) in 9mm with great results (for the price).  I would not plan on using these in a benchrest situation as I am sure they are not to the quality control as my own loads, but really hard to be for factory for the price.

Wayne

My advice is shoot the cheapest ammo that works reliably in your pistol. I've had excellent results with Blazer in my Glock 19, and have been able to find it for $3.50 to $4 a box.

I put about 4,000 rounds of Blazer 9mm ball through a Glock 19 in 115, 124 and 147-grain weights. Not a single malf and I couldn't tell the difference in recoil between the bullet weights. Blazer 9mm is good stuff. I've never been impressed with the reliability of their .45 ball OTOH.

Similar experience with 9mm blazer in a G19.  Can't say the same for the Colt 9mm upper - it hates the stuff. Still, in Glocks and Ruger handguns, the stuff works.

So we know what functions and how cheap it is. What about closest to minor PF? Lowest recoil? What to use as Production Match ammo??

• 2 weeks later...

In my early second generation Glock 17 I found that Winchester's USA brand 115 grain FMJ loads could only produce about 6" groups at 20 yards.  The 147 grain USA brand groups about 2.5" at the same distance.  I recently bought a new third generation G17 and was surprised to see that it shoots both bullet weights equally well.  The 147s do seem to hit pepper poppers harder.

CCI Blazer works well for me in a H&K USP 9.  The ammo is available here (Texas) for around $4.00 per box of 50.  It is a little harder to take down a Pepper Popper, however the Mini Popper, and Pesky Poppers are not much of a problem.

I also like Blazer 9mm.  I've put about 8k rounds of it through my SVI commander with not a single malfunction.

Of course, having said that, I'm sure it will go to pot this week at area 4 =)  (Yeah, I shoot limited 10 AND minor, I'm a sadist =)

I'm in Texas as well, so $79.80/case is awesome.  ($3.99/box)

My .40 will be ready in the middle of June so I'll be loading my own for it, but I'll stay true to Blazer for IDPA =)

BradC

A46143